Default value for input type file in HTML?

ramkum

Hi,

I'm building a system where a presenter uploads a PPT to my server and
then I show it to all the participants. The problem is that most of the

media in the PPT is usually linked, so I'll need to upload all that
too. Assuming I can parse the PPT and figure the exact name and
location of each of the media files I need from his hard-disk, is there

any way I can upload all these files automatically, without having to
make the user choose each of these files manually? If that's not
possible, can I atleast show the user a page with a list of input boxes

of type file, pre-populated with the file-path and name of the media
files I need, so that the user can just click 'Submit' without having
to browse and select each of them?

Please say yes. It would be a major usability crisis if my users had to

keep hitting the browse button so many times for each PPT! Especially
when I know exactly what files I need and where they are! I know that
this has a lot to do with browser security, but there's got to be SOME
way out?

Thanks,

Patrice

Not using HTML alone. You'll have to use something such as an ActiveX, Java,
or .NET control client side (or to alter security settings). Knowing a bit
more could help (ie.is this in house workstations or are they general public
?)

Or perhaps could they zip a folder and upload the zip file ?

ramkum

Thanks Patrice, I guess I'll go for signed Java applets. This is for an
external client, and I'm sure they wont be too happy with having to zip
their presentations up :).

I was just hoping there would be simple way of doing it using HTML.
Opera honors the 'value' for Input type file (albeit with a warning
message to the user for unedited submits), so I was hoping there was
some means of achieving the same result in IE or FireFox.