Default Values For SELECT

HugeBob

Hi All,

I'm writing an OnReset handler and I'd like to know the default value
of a select box: that is, what will the browser set the select box to
after the handler completes. I know that TEXT inputs have the
defaultValue attribute. But, is there a similar attribute for selects?

Thanks.

Evertjan.

HugeBob wrote on 26 dec 2006 in comp.lang.javascript:
I'm writing an OnReset handler and I'd like to know the default value
of a select box: that is, what will the browser set the select box to
after the handler completes. I know that TEXT inputs have the
defaultValue attribute. But, is there a similar attribute for selects?

Clearly described here:

<http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/reference/properties/defau
ltvalue.asp>

and here:

<http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/reference/objects/input_ch
eckbox.asp>

HugeBob

Hi,

Thanks for responding. The links you provided detail the defaultValue
attribute for the INPUT type. There didn't seem to be a reference to a
defaultValue property for the SELECT. I looked around
(http://www.w3schools.com/htmldom/dom_obj_select.asp) and there doesn't
seem to be this type of property for the SELECT control. There is,
however, a defaultSelected property on the accompanying OPTION tags.
I'll play with this and see what happens.