Defeat popup stoppers?

Bill

Hello Programmers,
I am looking for either CGI Script (OR HTML etc)
to DEFEAT Pop-up Stoppers

e.g It will bring up a window that will
LOOK like a Pop-up
FEEL like a Pop-up
Allow a name and e-mail entry
BUT is not affected by Popup Stopper, PopUp Killer, Yahoo anti-popup script
etc

Bill

Andy Holmes

Bill said:
Hello Programmers,
I am looking for either CGI Script (OR HTML etc)
to DEFEAT Pop-up Stoppers

e.g It will bring up a window that will
LOOK like a Pop-up
FEEL like a Pop-up
Allow a name and e-mail entry
BUT is not affected by Popup Stopper, PopUp Killer, Yahoo anti-popup script
etc

Did it ever occur to you that some people genuinely *don't want*
pop-ups? Nevermind them being an accessibility issue, they're freaking
annoying.

That being said, your best bet is to "fake" a pop-up. Think:

'visible'">

- Andy

PS. Feel free to give me the URL to your site so I can *not* go there.

Hywel Jenkins

Bill said:
Hello Programmers,
I am looking for either CGI Script (OR HTML etc)
to DEFEAT Pop-up Stoppers

Not possible.

e.g It will bring up a window that will
LOOK like a Pop-up
FEEL like a Pop-up
Allow a name and e-mail entry
BUT is not affected by Popup Stopper, PopUp Killer, Yahoo anti-popup script
etc

The best you could do would be to show a <div> containing what looks
like a pop-up window. But then that's not a pop-up, is it?

Wipkip

Bill said:
Hello Programmers,
I am looking for either CGI Script (OR HTML etc)
to DEFEAT Pop-up Stoppers

e.g It will bring up a window that will
LOOK like a Pop-up
FEEL like a Pop-up
Allow a name and e-mail entry
BUT is not affected by Popup Stopper, PopUp Killer, Yahoo anti-popup script
etc
I hate people like you. If I wanted popups I wouldn't block them would I.

Talc Ta Matt

I hate people like you. If I wanted popups I wouldn't block them would I.

I dislike popup's too, but the fact of the matter is that advertising is the
only reason sites are free.

Woolly Mittens

Talc Ta Matt said:
I dislike popup's too, but the fact of the matter is that advertising is the
only reason sites are free.

Then use banners, or failing that, make everybody watch popups except me.

Whitecrest

Then use banners, or failing that, make everybody watch popups except me.

The banner ad pyramid scheme is the reason we had the dot-com crash.
They have been proven not to work. Not that pop ups do, but banner ads
are not a useful alternative to popups)

Wÿrm

The banner ad pyramid scheme is the reason we had the dot-com crash.
They have been proven not to work. Not that pop ups do, but banner ads
are not a useful alternative to popups)

dotcom crash was NOT because of banner ads, it was because of unrealistic
expectations from whole dotcom crap that was overhyped all the time all the
media everywhere...

Steve Pugh

Wÿrm said:
dotcom crash was NOT because of banner ads, it was because of unrealistic
expectations from whole dotcom crap that was overhyped all the time all the
media everywhere...

One of the factors was the number of sites that got venture capital
funding based on wildly over-optimistic predictions of advertising
revenue. There were companies out there whose entire business model
was founded on revenues from banner advertsing on their site.

Of course banner ads aren't solely to blame for the crash, but they
played their part.

Steve

Isofarro

Talc said:
I dislike popup's too, but the fact of the matter is that advertising is
the only reason sites are free.

Rubbish. There are many excellent websites out there offering good and high
quality information without needing to stoop to advertising.

Wipkip

Whitecrest said:
The banner ad pyramid scheme is the reason we had the dot-com crash.
They have been proven not to work. Not that pop ups do, but banner ads
are not a useful alternative to popups)

Popups just piss people off!!!

Default User

Isofarro said:
Rubbish. There are many excellent websites out there offering good and high
quality information without needing to stoop to advertising.

I don't know about "stooping" to advertisement. Ads, banner or
otherwise, that are focused to the interests of the group wouldn't be a
problem, in fact might be welcome.

For example, on a model railroad enthusiasts web site, featured ads for
parts suppliers would not only not be intrusive, but might be an asset
to the page.

Brian Rodenborn

Woolly Mittens

Whitecrest said:
me.

The banner ad pyramid scheme is the reason we had the dot-com crash.
They have been proven not to work. Not that pop ups do, but banner ads
are not a useful alternative to popups)

Where did you read you had a choice? No matter what you think up, you'll
only alienate your audience.
Banners are anoying but acceptable. Popups are an accessability nightmare.

Whitecrest

dotcom crash was NOT because of banner ads, it was because of unrealistic
expectations from whole dotcom crap that was overhyped all the time all the
media everywhere...

A major contributing factor to the dot-com crash was the belief that the
income generated by click throughs were enough to sustain the bubble.
The entire concept was little more than a pyramid scheme gone bad.

Sadly no one clicked on banner ads.

Whitecrest

Rubbish. There are many excellent websites out there offering good and high
quality information without needing to stoop to advertising.

Both of you are correct, there are many companies that need the
advertising to sustain their business. Others don't.

Whitecrest

Popups just piss people off!!!

Not everyone, but that is not the point. The point is that banner ads
are not a replacement for a pop up. Since you would want to replace it
with something equally or more effective, and banner ads are not
effective at all.

Whitecrest

Where did you read you had a choice? No matter what you think up, you'll
only alienate your audience.
Banners are anoying but acceptable. Popups are an accessability nightmare.

They are still not a more effective option.

Mark Parnell

Sometime around Thu, 6 Nov 2003 17:32:33 -0500, Whitecrest is reported to
have stated:
The point is that banner ads
are not a replacement for a pop up. Since you would want to replace it
with something equally or more effective, and banner ads are not
effective at all.

And popups are? The only thing I've ever seen them be effective at is
annoying people. :)