    Allow a name and e-mail entry
    BUT is not affected by Popup Stopper, PopUp Killer etc

    Bill
    Bill, Nov 11, 2003

  2. Bill wrote:

    > Hello Programmers,
    > I am looking for either Java Script (OR HTML etc)
    > to DEFEAT Pop-up Stoppers
    >
    > e.g It will bring up a window that will
    > LOOK like a Pop-up
    > FEEL like a Pop-up
    > Allow a name and e-mail entry
    > BUT is not affected by Popup Stopper, PopUp Killer etc
    >
    > Bill

    And multiposting will definitely not help you.

    --
    Regards,
    Christophe Vanfleteren
    Christophe Vanfleteren, Nov 11, 2003

  3. Bill

    Sergio Juan Guest

    This must be kind of a "profesional disease", spawning posts like popups....

    In the other hand, I suggest an alert that displays a message "Please
    deactivate your popup stoppers so I can annoy you with publicity you do
    neither desire nor need". Maybe it will work. :p

    Regards.

    Sergio Juan, Nov 11, 2003
  4. Bill

    Harald Hein Guest

    "Christophe Vanfleteren" wrote:

    > And multiposting will definitely not help you.

    He is a spammer. What do you expect?

    In fact, jaring.my is a known spam shithole for years, and has earned
    nice cosy places in blocklists around the world.
    Harald Hein, Nov 11, 2003
  5. Bill

    Bill Guest

    I'm actually an Australian in Malaysia.
    I had no idea what I was stepping into when I made that OP!
    I also did not express my intentions clearly!
    We live and learn! :)
    Bill
    PS - the e-mail I address I used is an old one I no longer use!
    I was expecting spam!

    Bill, Nov 12, 2003
  6. Bill

    noone Guest

    Bill wrote:

    > I'm actually an Australian in Malaysia.

    And am an Asian living in Australia ...

    > I had no idea what I was stepping into when I made that OP!

    You mean, you have not heard of the outcry against pop-up ads ?

    > I also did not express my intentions clearly!

    Your intention is quite obvious, as per the subject line of your OP.
    noone, Nov 12, 2003
  7. Bill

    Bill Guest

    By the way, anyone wanting to e-mail me, the e-mail address given is
    disused.
    It gets so much spam I no longer use it.
    I hope no-one has tried to e-mail me personally
    Bill
    Bill, Nov 12, 2003
  8. Bill

    Harald Hein Guest

    "Bill" wrote:

    > I'm actually an Australian in Malaysia.

    Who cares? A spammer is a spammer, independent of nationality.

    > I had no idea what I was stepping into when I made that OP!

    Oh sure not. You know the official spammer rules?

    Rule #1: Spammers lie.
    Rule #2: If a spammer seems to be telling the truth, see Rule #1.
    Rule #3: Spammers are stupid.

    Recently
    (http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=RbydnRsL6r6vygCjXTWcow@giganews
    ..com&output=gplain) ammended by:

    Rule #0: Spam is theft.
    Rule #4: The natural course of a spamming business is to go bankrupt.

    Should we really discuss which one applies to you?

    > I also did not express my intentions clearly!

    Oh, It was very obvious. You want to harrass and anoy people with
    advertising. And, you want to do so by stealing resources from your
    victims.

    > We live and learn! :)

    It has proven again and again that spammers are incapable of learning
    (Rule #3). I bet we will see you again in the spamming business.

    > PS - the e-mail I address I used is an old one I no longer use!

    I would have been surprised if it would even be your address, and not
    some identity theft.

    > I was expecting spam!

    Also typical for spammers. "I hate spam as much as the next guy. Spam
    is what the others do.".

    Please excuse me now. I have to take a shower. Talking to a spammer
    makes me feel dirty.
    Harald Hein, Nov 12, 2003
  9. Bill <> scribbled the following:
    > By the way, anyone wanting to e-mail me, the e-mail address given is
    > disused.
    > It gets so much spam I no longer use it.
    > I hope no-one has tried to e-mail me personally
    > Bill

    Now look here, a spammer complaining about how much spam he gets.

    "Stronger, no. More seductive, cunning, crunchier the Dark Side is."
    - Mika P. Nieminen
    Joona I Palaste, Nov 12, 2003
  10. > e.g It will bring up a window that will
    > LOOK like a Pop-up
    > FEEL like a Pop-up
    > Allow a name and e-mail entry
    > BUT is not affected by Popup Stopper, PopUp Killer etc

    Assuming you don't want to use this as spam.. have you considered that
    people using popup stoppers will be the first to immidiately kill your
    popup and most likely not be willing to enter their eMail into the
    form?

    Perhaps you may want to rethink your design. If you just want a new
    window to open, why not use some construct such as <a
    href="xyz.zy/form.html" target="_new_window">click here for a form</a>
    (if i remember my html correctly)

    This will be unobtrusive and most likely serve your purpose, unless
    you are one of those spammers wanting to annoy the hell out of people,
    hehe. Because honestly, I have yet to come across a use of popups that
    enhanced usability of a website....
    Justin Kaeser, Nov 13, 2003
  11. Bill

    Mickey Segal Guest

    "Justin Kaeser" <> wrote:
    > I have yet to come across a use of popups that
    > enhanced usability of a website....

    We have a large Java applet with extensive Web-page-based documentation
    accessed by clicking help buttons in the applet. As detailed (with a
    working applet as an example) at:
    http://segal.org/java/pop_window2/index.html
    the documentation gets blocked by the Google Toolbar, but not by pop-up
    stoppers used by Netscape and Safari.

    Having to switch away from Web-page-based documentation would be a big
    problem for us and the users of our large Java applet. Hopefully Google
    will figure out some way to allow our button-click-initiated pop-ups without
    allowing the automatic popups that motivate us to install popup stoppers.
    At the minimum someone should fix the bug that prevents the little yellow
    explosion cursor from appearing when the popup is blocked.
    Mickey Segal, Nov 13, 2003
  12. > http://segal.org/java/pop_window2/index.html

    [After turning on Java support in my browser]
    opening that link causes a java window to appear.
    The window is created when the page is loaded rather than as a result of a
    user action and is by definition an unsolicited Pop-up.

    This kind of thing is why my browser settings default to
    having Java support turned off.

    > the documentation gets blocked by the Google Toolbar, but not by
    > pop-up stoppers used by Netscape and Safari.

    Nor by Guidescope.
    Thomas Schodt, Nov 13, 2003
  13. Bill

    Mickey Segal Guest

    "Thomas Schodt" <news0310@xenoc.$DEMON.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > http://segal.org/java/pop_window2/index.html

    > [After turning on Java support in my browser]
    > opening that link causes a java window to appear.
    > The window is created when the page is loaded rather than as a result of a
    > user action and is by definition an unsolicited Pop-up.
    >
    > This kind of thing is why my browser settings default to
    > having Java support turned off.

    The use of a Frame in the example above has complicated the point I am
    making. To see an example without the issue of a Frame popping up see the
    simpler example at: http://segal.org/java/pop_window/index.html. Here the
    user-initiated button click is supposed to pop-up a browser window, but that
    is blocked by the Google Toolbar (though not by the other popup blockers).

    It seems reasonable that a user should be able to click a button to pop up a
    browser with documentation, but that is blocked by the Google Toolbar.
    Google says this is a bug. However, it is not clear to me how they can stop
    this unintended blocking without allowing unsolicited popups.
    Mickey Segal, Nov 13, 2003
  14. Bill

    Bryan Boone Guest

    Mickey Segal wrote:

    > "Justin Kaeser" <> wrote:
    >
    >>I have yet to come across a use of popups that
    >>enhanced usability of a website....

    > We have a large Java applet with extensive Web-page-based documentation
    > accessed by clicking help buttons in the applet. As detailed (with a
    > working applet as an example) at:
    > http://segal.org/java/pop_window2/index.html
    > the documentation gets blocked by the Google Toolbar, but not by pop-up
    > stoppers used by Netscape and Safari.
    >
    > Having to switch away from Web-page-based documentation would be a big
    > problem for us and the users of our large Java applet. Hopefully Google
    > will figure out some way to allow our button-click-initiated pop-ups without
    > allowing the automatic popups that motivate us to install popup stoppers.
    > At the minimum someone should fix the bug that prevents the little yellow
    > explosion cursor from appearing when the popup is blocked.

    Why not display the hml is a JEditorPane anyway for your applet?
    -Bryan
    Bryan Boone, Nov 13, 2003
  15. "Mickey Segal" <> wrote in message
    > "Justin Kaeser" <> wrote:
    > > I have yet to come across a use of popups that
    > > enhanced usability of a website....

    > We have a large Java applet with extensive Web-page-based documentation
    > accessed by clicking help buttons in the applet. As detailed (with a
    > working applet as an example) at:
    > http://segal.org/java/pop_window2/index.html

    I have been thinking about your Applet, Mickey.

    Had you considered openning the documentation
    in a separate frame*?

    Both Frames and Pop-Ups have accessibility problems,
    but I think Frames are more accepted.

    [ * I am talking HTML frames here, not Java Frames or JFrames ]

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    http://www.AThompson.info/
    Andrew Thompson, Nov 13, 2003
  16. Bill

    Mickey Segal Guest

    "Andrew Thompson" <> wrote in message
    > I have been thinking about your Applet, Mickey.
    >
    > Had you considered openning the documentation
    > in a separate frame*?
    >
    > Both Frames and Pop-Ups have accessibility problems,
    > but I think Frames are more accepted.
    >
    > [ * I am talking HTML frames here, not Java Frames or JFrames ]

    Both the applet and the documentation need most of the screen (or all of the
    screen on monitors with low resolutions), so I don't think HTML frames will
    be a good workaround here.

    Our workaround so far is to post a red warning telling people about this
    Google issue and how to disable the popup blocking for our domain, but one
    hopes for solutions that do not depend on people reading the directions.

    And since our applet runs in a Frame (for a variety of reasons tangential to
    this discussion) hopefully Google will correct the most serious part of the
    bug whereby in http://segal.org/java/pop_window2/ using the Microsoft JVM
    the little yellow explosion cursor does not appear after clicking a button
    in a frame. When the button is not in a frame as in
    http://segal.org/java/pop_window/ the yellow explosion cursor appears even
    using the Microsoft JVM.
    Mickey Segal, Nov 13, 2003
  17. Bill

    Mickey Segal Guest

    "Bryan Boone" <> wrote in message
    > Why not display the hml is a JEditorPane anyway for your applet?

    We are restricted to a basic Java 1.x installation in order to support users
    with older JVMs. Also, there are almost 100 HTML files with 1.4 MB of
    images, so it is convenient to manage the documentation as a set of Web
    pages accessed as needed.
    Mickey Segal, Nov 13, 2003
  18. That doesn't prevent you from using the JEditorPane. You can point the
    control to a
    url, it doesn't have to be local.

    Java 1.x hmm... that covers a lot of ground (1.1 - 1.4.2?), you must be
    talking pre-Swing,
    _and_ pre-java plugin technology. You get a much better look and feel
    consistency
    if you used JEditorPane. As far as that goes all text rendering swing
    components (jdk 1.2+ i think)
    can understand html 3.2.

    -Bryan

    Bryan E. Boone, Nov 13, 2003
  19. Bill

    Mickey Segal Guest

    "Bryan E. Boone" <> wrote in message
    > Java 1.x hmm... that covers a lot of ground (1.1 - 1.4.2?), you must be
    > talking pre-Swing,
    > _and_ pre-java plugin technology. You get a much better look and feel
    > consistency
    > if you used JEditorPane.

    I meant JRE 1.1; most of our users still use the Microsoft JVM and some use
    Mac OS 9. This limits our ability to work around a block of showDocument.
    Mickey Segal, Nov 14, 2003
  20. Bill

    Bryan Boone Guest

    Mickey Segal wrote:

    > "Bryan E. Boone" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Java 1.x hmm... that covers a lot of ground (1.1 - 1.4.2?), you must be
    >>talking pre-Swing,
    >>_and_ pre-java plugin technology. You get a much better look and feel
    >>consistency
    >>if you used JEditorPane.

    > I meant JRE 1.1; most of our users still use the Microsoft JVM and some use
    > Mac OS 9. This limits our ability to work around a block of showDocument.

    Fair enough... BTW... I develop java on Panther. Quite nice;
    -Bryan
    Bryan Boone, Nov 14, 2003