Defeating Pop-up stoppers please?

Bill

Hello Programmers,
I am looking for either Java Script (OR HTML etc)
to DEFEAT Pop-up Stoppers

e.g It will bring up a window that will
LOOK like a Pop-up
FEEL like a Pop-up
Allow a name and e-mail entry
BUT is not affected by Popup Stopper, PopUp Killer etc

Bill

Adrienne

Hello Programmers,
I am looking for either Java Script (OR HTML etc)
to DEFEAT Pop-up Stoppers

e.g It will bring up a window that will
LOOK like a Pop-up
FEEL like a Pop-up
Allow a name and e-mail entry
BUT is not affected by Popup Stopper, PopUp Killer etc

Bill

I use Opera because it blocks pop-ups. I also use the Google toolbar for
IE to do the same. I don't like pop-ups, and I avoid sites that use them.

Further, what about users without javascript?

Jukka K. Korpela

Bill said:
I am looking for either Java Script (OR HTML etc)
to DEFEAT Pop-up Stoppers

OK, tell us when you have found something, so that we can upgrade our
killers faster. TIA.

rf

Bill said:
Hello Programmers,
I am looking for either Java Script (OR HTML etc)
to DEFEAT Pop-up Stoppers

e.g It will bring up a window that will
LOOK like a Pop-up
FEEL like a Pop-up
Allow a name and e-mail entry
BUT is not affected by Popup Stopper, PopUp Killer etc

You *must* be kidding. Popup stopers stop popups. Full stop. You can *not*
get around them.

Cheers
Richard.

Alan D-W

Bill said:
Hello Programmers,
I am looking for either Java Script (OR HTML etc)
to DEFEAT Pop-up Stoppers

e.g It will bring up a window that will
LOOK like a Pop-up
FEEL like a Pop-up
Allow a name and e-mail entry
BUT is not affected by Popup Stopper, PopUp Killer etc

Don't you believe that if people run popup stoppers it's because they want
to stop popups? Don't you feel that if, despite their popup stoppers you
pop them a popup then they will immediately pop off somewhere else? Do you
think I'd be able to repeat that tonight after three pints?
Alan

Warren Oates

:Further, what about users without javascript?

I agree about pop-ups, they annoy the users, and I think we should avoid
them. JavaScript, but, is such an integral part of the thing that I
don't care about people who have: a. an old browser that doesn't support
it; b. turned it off out of some mis-placed paranoia; c. lynx. I use
simple JS for all sorts of things that need to be done client-side.

Michael Wilcox

Warren Oates said:
I use simple JS for all sorts of things that need to be done
client-side.

What do you use it for that so important you would eliminate a portion of
your user base for it?

Robert Hampton

Bill said:
Hello Programmers,
I am looking for either Java Script (OR HTML etc)
to DEFEAT Pop-up Stoppers

e.g It will bring up a window that will
LOOK like a Pop-up
FEEL like a Pop-up
Allow a name and e-mail entry
BUT is not affected by Popup Stopper, PopUp Killer etc

Didn't you just ask this question a week ago? Get a clue.

--
Robert Hampton
Genesis POS

Whitecrest

arbpen2003 said:
I use Opera because it blocks pop-ups. I also use the Google toolbar for
IE to do the same. I don't like pop-ups, and I avoid sites that use them.

If you have blockers, then what is the difference if you visit the site
or not?
Further, what about users without javascript?

They don't get to see it.

Grunff

Warren said:
:Further, what about users without javascript?

I agree about pop-ups, they annoy the users, and I think we should avoid
them. JavaScript, but, is such an integral part of the thing that I
don't care about people who have: a. an old browser that doesn't support
it; b. turned it off out of some mis-placed paranoia; c. lynx. I use
simple JS for all sorts of things that need to be done client-side.

You're forgetting: d. corporate desktop users who don't get a
say in the matter and have JS turned off for them.

Depending on your target audience, the daytime corporate users
can be a significant percentage (and one with good spending
potential). Not a bunch you want to miss out on.

Jay

"Bill" McFly says...
Hello Programmers,
I am looking for either Java Script (OR HTML etc)
to DEFEAT Pop-up Stoppers

Hello...McFly...Anyone home?

People use pop-up stoppers because they want to stop pop-ups.

I think the better question is:
What's everyone's favorite pop-up stopper?

I use the Google toolbar and it works wonders.

- J

Toby A Inkster

Grunff said:
You're forgetting: d. corporate desktop users who don't get a
say in the matter and have JS turned off for them.

Warren's also forgetting e. Googlebot. f. people who do have Javascript
but for whatever reason the Javascript doesn't run (there is maybe some
error in it?).

Whitecrest

You're forgetting: d. corporate desktop users who don't get a
say in the matter and have JS turned off for them.

Depending on your target audience, the daytime corporate users
can be a significant percentage (and one with good spending
potential). Not a bunch you want to miss out on.

You know as much talk about the corporate users that have javascript
turned off, I have never worked with or for one that did that. Even the
Military does not turn it off on their machines. Does anyone know of a
(verifiable) corporation that does this?

Grunff

Whitecrest said:
You know as much talk about the corporate users that have javascript
turned off, I have never worked with or for one that did that. Even the
Military does not turn it off on their machines. Does anyone know of a
(verifiable) corporation that does this?

I don't know what you mean by verifiable, but I've worked for 3
large companies who as standard have JS turned off on their
desktops (or at least did at the sites where I worked).

Kris

Toby A Inkster said:
f. people who do have Javascript
but for whatever reason the Javascript doesn't run (there is maybe some
error in it?).

It gets partly blocked. Like, the browser is configured to ignore
certain functions, like window.open or submit(), which concequentially
may lead a poorly scripted application to fail.

Whitecrest

I don't know what you mean by verifiable, but I've worked for 3
large companies who as standard have JS turned off on their
desktops (or at least did at the sites where I worked).

What companies? (I understand if you don't care to say) I have worked
with all the major telecommunications companies (ATT, SPRINT, BellSouth,
MCI and WCOM), Investment firms (Fidelity), Banks(Northern Trust
corporate offices), the government, and military, and have never run
into a company that turns it off.

nice.guy.nige

While the city slept said:
Don't you believe that if people run popup stoppers it's because they
want to stop popups? Don't you feel that if, despite their popup
stoppers you pop them a popup then they will immediately pop off
somewhere else? Do you think I'd be able to repeat that tonight after
three pints?

Repeat until dizzy / confused / tongue-tied / all of the above: "How many
popups would a popup stopper stop if a popup stopped popup stoppers?"

Do not, under *any* circumstances try this after your 3 pints! ;-)

Cheers,
Nige

--
Nigel Moss.

Email address is not valid. (e-mail address removed). Take the dog out!

Adrienne

If you have blockers, then what is the difference if you visit the site
or not?

They don't get to see it.

The OP wanted something to defeat pop-ups. My point was to advise about
the visitors who do block pop-ups, and perhaps the OP might think of other
ways to present the information.

As for users without javascript, you are correct, they do not see it.
Again, this is something the OP needs to think about other ways to present
the information.

Grunff

Whitecrest said:
What companies? (I understand if you don't care to say) I have worked
with all the major telecommunications companies (ATT, SPRINT, BellSouth,
MCI and WCOM), Investment firms (Fidelity), Banks(Northern Trust
corporate offices), the government, and military, and have never run
into a company that turns it off.

I'm in the UK. The AA, Cable & Wireless and Zeneca (now Syngenta).

I must say, having looked at the site in your sig, it's fairly
clear that you aren't a believer in accessibility and the use of
appropriate technology - which leads me to believe that there's
little to be gained from pursuing this thread.

Leslie

"Bill" McFly says...

Hello...McFly...Anyone home?

People use pop-up stoppers because they want to stop pop-ups.

I think the better question is:
What's everyone's favorite pop-up stopper?

I use the Google toolbar and it works wonders.

I use the Free Pop-Up Stopper from PanicWare. Suits my needs just
fine. I especially like the subtle "thwump" sound I've enabled when a
pop-up is stopped. It's even more satifying when I hear the rapid
fire "thwump thwump thwump" at sites that may have otherwise locked up
my computer.

This whole thread makes me think of the new Do Not Call registry in
the US. While all this is being hashed out in the courts why would
any company or organization deliberately call a # they know is on the
"do not call" list. Same thinking goes into why anyone would want to
defeat a pop-up stopper. Stupid.

Leslie