    Allow a name and e-mail entry
    BUT is not affected by Popup Stopper, PopUp Killer etc

    Bill

    Bill, Nov 11, 2003

  2. Bill

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Bill" <>
    writing in news:boqcsq$2an$:

    > Hello Programmers,
    > I am looking for either Java Script (OR HTML etc)
    > to DEFEAT Pop-up Stoppers
    >
    > e.g It will bring up a window that will
    > LOOK like a Pop-up
    > FEEL like a Pop-up
    > Allow a name and e-mail entry
    > BUT is not affected by Popup Stopper, PopUp Killer etc
    >
    > Bill

    I use Opera because it blocks pop-ups. I also use the Google toolbar for
    IE to do the same. I don't like pop-ups, and I avoid sites that use them.

    Further, what about users without javascript?

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.arbpen.com

    Adrienne, Nov 11, 2003

  3. Jukka K. Korpela, Nov 11, 2003
  4. Bill

    rf Guest

    "Bill" <> wrote in message
    > Hello Programmers,
    > I am looking for either Java Script (OR HTML etc)
    > to DEFEAT Pop-up Stoppers
    >
    > e.g It will bring up a window that will
    > LOOK like a Pop-up
    > FEEL like a Pop-up
    > Allow a name and e-mail entry
    > BUT is not affected by Popup Stopper, PopUp Killer etc

    You *must* be kidding. Popup stopers stop popups. Full stop. You can *not*
    get around them.

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Nov 11, 2003
  5. Bill

    Alan D-W Guest

    "Bill" <> wrote in message
    > Hello Programmers,
    > I am looking for either Java Script (OR HTML etc)
    > to DEFEAT Pop-up Stoppers
    >
    > e.g It will bring up a window that will
    > LOOK like a Pop-up
    > FEEL like a Pop-up
    > Allow a name and e-mail entry
    > BUT is not affected by Popup Stopper, PopUp Killer etc

    Don't you believe that if people run popup stoppers it's because they want
    to stop popups? Don't you feel that if, despite their popup stoppers you
    pop them a popup then they will immediately pop off somewhere else? Do you
    think I'd be able to repeat that tonight after three pints?
    Alan

    Alan D-W, Nov 11, 2003
  6. Bill

    Warren Oates Guest

    In article <Xns94301AB7CC3CCarbpenyahoocom@207.115.63.158>,
    Adrienne <> wrote:

    :Further, what about users without javascript?

    I agree about pop-ups, they annoy the users, and I think we should avoid
    them. JavaScript, but, is such an integral part of the thing that I
    don't care about people who have: a. an old browser that doesn't support
    it; b. turned it off out of some mis-placed paranoia; c. lynx. I use
    simple JS for all sorts of things that need to be done client-side.
    --
    Looks like more of Texas to me.
    .... Arizona, where the nights are warm and the roads are straight.

    Warren Oates, Nov 11, 2003
  7. Warren Oates <> wrote:
    > I use simple JS for all sorts of things that need to be done
    > client-side.

    What do you use it for that so important you would eliminate a portion of
    your user base for it?
    --
    Michael Wilcox
    mjwilco at yahoo dot com

    Michael Wilcox, Nov 11, 2003
  8. Bill wrote:
    > Hello Programmers,
    > I am looking for either Java Script (OR HTML etc)
    > to DEFEAT Pop-up Stoppers
    >
    > e.g It will bring up a window that will
    > LOOK like a Pop-up
    > FEEL like a Pop-up
    > Allow a name and e-mail entry
    > BUT is not affected by Popup Stopper, PopUp Killer etc

    Didn't you just ask this question a week ago? Get a clue.

    --
    Robert Hampton
    Genesis POS

    Robert Hampton, Nov 11, 2003
  9. Bill

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <Xns94301AB7CC3CCarbpenyahoocom@207.115.63.158>, arbpen2003
    @sbcglobal.net says...
    > I use Opera because it blocks pop-ups. I also use the Google toolbar for
    > IE to do the same. I don't like pop-ups, and I avoid sites that use them.

    If you have blockers, then what is the difference if you visit the site
    or not?

    > Further, what about users without javascript?

    They don't get to see it.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, Nov 11, 2003
  10. Bill

    Grunff Guest

    Warren Oates wrote:

    > :Further, what about users without javascript?
    >
    > I agree about pop-ups, they annoy the users, and I think we should avoid
    > them. JavaScript, but, is such an integral part of the thing that I
    > don't care about people who have: a. an old browser that doesn't support
    > it; b. turned it off out of some mis-placed paranoia; c. lynx. I use
    > simple JS for all sorts of things that need to be done client-side.

    You're forgetting: d. corporate desktop users who don't get a
    say in the matter and have JS turned off for them.

    Depending on your target audience, the daytime corporate users
    can be a significant percentage (and one with good spending
    potential). Not a bunch you want to miss out on.

    --
    Grunff

    Grunff, Nov 11, 2003
  11. Bill

    Jay Guest

    "Bill" McFly says...

    > Hello Programmers,
    > I am looking for either Java Script (OR HTML etc)
    > to DEFEAT Pop-up Stoppers

    Hello...McFly...Anyone home?

    People use pop-up stoppers because they want to stop pop-ups.

    I think the better question is:
    What's everyone's favorite pop-up stopper?

    I use the Google toolbar and it works wonders.

    - J

    Jay, Nov 11, 2003
  12. Grunff wrote:

    > Warren Oates wrote:
    >
    >> I agree about pop-ups, they annoy the users, and I think we should avoid
    >> them. JavaScript, but, is such an integral part of the thing that I
    >> don't care about people who have: a. an old browser that doesn't support
    >> it; b. turned it off out of some mis-placed paranoia; c. lynx. I use
    >> simple JS for all sorts of things that need to be done client-side.

    > You're forgetting: d. corporate desktop users who don't get a
    > say in the matter and have JS turned off for them.

    Warren's also forgetting e. Googlebot. f. people who do have Javascript
    but for whatever reason the Javascript doesn't run (there is maybe some
    error in it?).

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Nov 11, 2003
  13. Bill

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > > :Further, what about users without javascript?

    > You're forgetting: d. corporate desktop users who don't get a
    > say in the matter and have JS turned off for them.
    >
    > Depending on your target audience, the daytime corporate users
    > can be a significant percentage (and one with good spending
    > potential). Not a bunch you want to miss out on.

    You know as much talk about the corporate users that have javascript
    turned off, I have never worked with or for one that did that. Even the
    Military does not turn it off on their machines. Does anyone know of a
    (verifiable) corporation that does this?

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, Nov 11, 2003
  14. Bill

    Grunff Guest

    Whitecrest wrote:

    > You know as much talk about the corporate users that have javascript
    > turned off, I have never worked with or for one that did that. Even the
    > Military does not turn it off on their machines. Does anyone know of a
    > (verifiable) corporation that does this?

    I don't know what you mean by verifiable, but I've worked for 3
    large companies who as standard have JS turned off on their
    desktops (or at least did at the sites where I worked).

    --
    Grunff

    Grunff, Nov 11, 2003
  15. Bill

    Kris Guest

    In article <>,
    Toby A Inkster <> wrote:

    > f. people who do have Javascript
    > but for whatever reason the Javascript doesn't run (there is maybe some
    > error in it?).

    It gets partly blocked. Like, the browser is configured to ignore
    certain functions, like window.open or submit(), which concequentially
    may lead a poorly scripted application to fail.

    --
    Kris
    erlands (nl)

    Kris, Nov 11, 2003
  16. Bill

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > > You know as much talk about the corporate users that have javascript
    > > turned off, I have never worked with or for one that did that. Even the
    > > Military does not turn it off on their machines. Does anyone know of a
    > > (verifiable) corporation that does this?

    > I don't know what you mean by verifiable, but I've worked for 3
    > large companies who as standard have JS turned off on their
    > desktops (or at least did at the sites where I worked).

    What companies? (I understand if you don't care to say) I have worked
    with all the major telecommunications companies (ATT, SPRINT, BellSouth,
    MCI and WCOM), Investment firms (Fidelity), Banks(Northern Trust
    corporate offices), the government, and military, and have never run
    into a company that turns it off.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, Nov 11, 2003
  17. While the city slept, Alan D-W <> feverishly typed:

    > Don't you believe that if people run popup stoppers it's because they
    > want to stop popups? Don't you feel that if, despite their popup
    > stoppers you pop them a popup then they will immediately pop off
    > somewhere else? Do you think I'd be able to repeat that tonight after
    > three pints?

    Repeat until dizzy / confused / tongue-tied / all of the above: "How many
    popups would a popup stopper stop if a popup stopped popup stoppers?"

    Do not, under *any* circumstances try this after your 3 pints! ;-)

    Cheers,
    Nige

    --
    Nigel Moss.

    nice.guy.nige, Nov 11, 2003
  18. Bill

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Whitecrest <>
    writing in news::

    > In article <Xns94301AB7CC3CCarbpenyahoocom@207.115.63.158>, arbpen2003
    > @sbcglobal.net says...
    >> I use Opera because it blocks pop-ups. I also use the Google toolbar
    >> for IE to do the same. I don't like pop-ups, and I avoid sites that
    >> use them.

    > If you have blockers, then what is the difference if you visit the site
    > or not?
    >
    >> Further, what about users without javascript?

    > They don't get to see it.

    The OP wanted something to defeat pop-ups. My point was to advise about
    the visitors who do block pop-ups, and perhaps the OP might think of other
    ways to present the information.

    As for users without javascript, you are correct, they do not see it.
    Again, this is something the OP needs to think about other ways to present
    the information.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.arbpen.com

    Adrienne, Nov 11, 2003
  19. Bill

    Grunff Guest

    Whitecrest wrote:

    > What companies? (I understand if you don't care to say) I have worked
    > with all the major telecommunications companies (ATT, SPRINT, BellSouth,
    > MCI and WCOM), Investment firms (Fidelity), Banks(Northern Trust
    > corporate offices), the government, and military, and have never run
    > into a company that turns it off.

    I'm in the UK. The AA, Cable & Wireless and Zeneca (now Syngenta).

    I must say, having looked at the site in your sig, it's fairly
    clear that you aren't a believer in accessibility and the use of
    appropriate technology - which leads me to believe that there's
    little to be gained from pursuing this thread.

    --
    Grunff

    Grunff, Nov 11, 2003
  20. Bill

    Leslie Guest

    On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 18:17:32 GMT, "Jay" <> wrote:

    >"Bill" McFly says...
    >
    >> Hello Programmers,
    >> I am looking for either Java Script (OR HTML etc)
    >> to DEFEAT Pop-up Stoppers

    >Hello...McFly...Anyone home?
    >
    >People use pop-up stoppers because they want to stop pop-ups.
    >
    >I think the better question is:
    >What's everyone's favorite pop-up stopper?
    >
    >I use the Google toolbar and it works wonders.

    I use the Free Pop-Up Stopper from PanicWare. Suits my needs just
    fine. I especially like the subtle "thwump" sound I've enabled when a
    pop-up is stopped. It's even more satifying when I hear the rapid
    fire "thwump thwump thwump" at sites that may have otherwise locked up
    my computer.

    This whole thread makes me think of the new Do Not Call registry in
    the US. While all this is being hashed out in the courts why would
    any company or organization deliberately call a # they know is on the
    "do not call" list. Same thinking goes into why anyone would want to
    defeat a pop-up stopper. Stupid.

    Leslie

    Leslie, Nov 11, 2003