Defining an object constructor that look like [] or {} ...?

Sonny Chee

Hey Guys,

Ruby has built in object constuctors for Array and Hash via [] and {}..
ie:

an_array = [1, 2, 3, 6]
a_hash = {1=>3, 2=>5, 'a'=>'green'}

I would like to do the same for one of my classes.. i.e.

my_object = |2, 3, 5, 7|

should yield the same result as if I had done the following:

my_object = MyClass.new([2, 3, 5, 7])

Is this possible?

Sonny.

Tom Link

my_object = MyClass.new([2, 3, 5, 7])

You should be able to use

[] as class method:

my_object = MyClass[2, 3, 5, 7]

a method in Kernel or similar:

my_object = MyClass(2, 3, 5, 7)

tom.

Matthew Moss

Hey Guys,

Ruby has built in object constuctors for Array and Hash via [] and
{}..
ie:

an_array = [1, 2, 3, 6]
a_hash = {1=>3, 2=>5, 'a'=>'green'}

I would like to do the same for one of my classes.. i.e.

my_object = |2, 3, 5, 7|

should yield the same result as if I had done the following:

my_object = MyClass.new([2, 3, 5, 7])

Is this possible?

Offhand, I doubt you can use || for this task, but you can use [].

class MyClass
def MyClass.[](*arr)
MyClass.new(arr)
end

def initialize(arr)
@arr = arr
end
end
x = MyClass[2, 3, 5, 7]
=> #<MyClass:0x7a3b4 @arr=[2, 3, 5, 7]>

Robert Klemme

Ruby has built in object constuctors for Array and Hash via [] and {}..
ie:

an_array = [1, 2, 3, 6]
a_hash = {1=>3, 2=>5, 'a'=>'green'}

I would like to do the same for one of my classes.. i.e.

my_object = |2, 3, 5, 7|

should yield the same result as if I had done the following:

my_object = MyClass.new([2, 3, 5, 7])

Is this possible?

No, because you would have to change Ruby's syntax. See the other
postings for alternatives.

Kind regards

robert

F. Senault

Le 16 janvier 2009 à 20:26, Tom Link a écrit :
my_object = MyClass.new([2, 3, 5, 7])

You should be able to use

[] as class method:

my_object = MyClass[2, 3, 5, 7]