# returns elements within @items into a string
end

class Groceries < List
item :lettuce
item :potato
item :ham
end

print Groceries.new

The trouble I'm having is figuring out how to go about adding an
instance variable, which is an array, and will be updated using these
attr like methods (I don't know what these are called which is giving me
some trouble). Is this possible to pull off?

Robert Klemme

Here is what I'm trying to do

class List
# Method item
# Pushes an item into an array @items
# Method to_s
# returns elements within @items into a string
end

class Groceries < List
item :lettuce
item :potato
item :ham
end

print Groceries.new

The trouble I'm having is figuring out how to go about adding an
instance variable, which is an array, and will be updated using these
attr like methods (I don't know what these are called which is giving me
some trouble).

You are looking for class methods.
Is this possible to pull off?

Yes, but I doubt it is what you want: you are asking for class methods
to add items but you create an instance (Groceries.new). Where is the
point in defining a list of items on class level and instantiate it
multiple times?

If you describe what you want to achieve, i.e. what (business) problem
you are trying to solve we can come up with other suggestions that may
be more appropriate.

For example: this looks like a case for inheritance:

class Grocery
end

class Lettuce < Grocery
end

class Potato < Grocery
end

With a little bit of meta programming you can then get all the
subclasses of Grocery.

Kind regards

robert

Chad Murphy

Robert said:
You are looking for class methods.
Thanks.

Yes, but I doubt it is what you want: you are asking for class methods
to add items but you create an instance (Groceries.new). Where is the
point in defining a list of items on class level and instantiate it
multiple times?

If you describe what you want to achieve, i.e. what (business) problem
you are trying to solve we can come up with other suggestions that may
be more appropriate.

For example: this looks like a case for inheritance:

class Grocery
end

class Lettuce < Grocery
end

class Potato < Grocery
end

With a little bit of meta programming you can then get all the
subclasses of Grocery.

I saw some code like this and tried playing around it. I think the
problem was that I had no idea whether it was something you could do in
order to abstract things from the sub class or something completely
different, but I realized you could do that with a method.
Kind regards

robert

Thanks again.

Daniel Finnie