    answers are ADAM and AzMan. does anyone have any suggestions as to what I
    could use from a pure programmatic perspective?

    Thanks

    GeoffreyD, Oct 25, 2007

  2. On Oct 25, 10:35 pm, "GeoffreyD" <> wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I am working on an internal ap.net site and am wanting to assign permissions
    > to users using their AD account to authenticate against, but am not wanting
    > to setup the actual groups within AD. At the moment is it seems that my only
    > answers are ADAM and AzMan. does anyone have any suggestions as to what I
    > could use from a pure programmatic perspective?
    >
    > Thanks

    for a page based permissions you can use the web.config file

    <authorization>
    <allow users="user1,user2"/>

    Alexey Smirnov, Oct 25, 2007

  3. GeoffreyD

    GeoffreyD Guest

    Hey, thanks for the reply but I am doing something similar currently. I need
    a more streamlined and generalised solution due to the number of users that
    need to use the site. More importantly, users from different groups are
    permitted to visit the same page (e.g. the data will be editable for some
    but read-only to others) so I need to be able to check group permissions on
    a task basis as a opposed to page access basis.

    GeoffreyD, Oct 25, 2007
  4. Hi GeoffreyD,

    For ASP.NET authentication and role based authorization, you can adopt the
    Membership and RoleManager providers. Also, these two providers are
    separate so that you can configure each of them to use different provider
    respectively. For example, you can configure the membership to use AD
    membership provider and Rolemanager to use SQL server provider. Thus, you
    can make your client user be authenticated against AD database and after
    they have login, their role is retrieved from SQL Server database(via the
    role manager provider).

    Here is a good article demonstrate using windows authentication(not AD
    membership provider since membership is mainly used for forms
    authentication) and SQL role manager provider. Howerver, the idea is the
    same:

    #Recipe: Implementing Role-Based Security with ASP.NET 2.0 using Windows
    Authentication and SQL Server
    http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/pages/Recipe_3A00_-Implementing-Role_2D00_Bas
    ed-Security-with-ASP.NET-2.0-using-Windows-Authentication-and-SQL-Server.asp

    And there are some other good reference about ASP.NET 2.0 Membershp & Role
    provider:

    #How To: Use Membership in ASP.NET 2.0

    #ASP.NET 2.0 Security, Membership and Roles Tutorials
    http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2006/06/19/ASP.NET-2.0-Security_2C00_
    -Membership-and-Roles-Tutorials.aspx

    Hope this helps.

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    ications.

    --------------------
    >From: "GeoffreyD" <>

    <>

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Oct 26, 2007
  5. GeoffreyD

    GeoffreyD Guest

    Great :) Thank you very much. I tried it and all is going well. Just one
    thing, I notice that when I use the builtin ASP.NET administration site, I
    cannot see the members ( due to using windows authentication) which is
    understandable. Is there a way to "subscribe" to a particular domain such
    that I could see a list of domain users within AD and add them to their
    roles without having to make my own page to do this programmatically?

    Regards
    Geoff

    GeoffreyD, Oct 29, 2007
  6. Thanks for your reply Geoff,

    For the new question you mentioned. I'm afraid we seems have no luck here.
    So far ASP.NET membership or role service doesn't provide built-in UI for
    us to assocate custom roles and windows authenticated users. I think the
    reasonable approach here would be create a simple page which use ADSI to
    query all the users and use RoleManager API to assocate roles. Though it
    will add some work, however, I'm sure it would still be convenient since
    ASP.NET databinding(such as GridView) and the existing Role API has saved
    us much time.

    If there is anything else we can help, welcome to post here.

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    --------------------
    >From: "GeoffreyD" <>
    >Subject: Re: Defining Groups with AD users
    >Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 20:26:05 +0200

    >Regards
    >Geoff
    >
    >"Steven Cheng[MSFT]" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi GeoffreyD,
    >>
    >> For ASP.NET authentication and role based authorization, you can adopt

    the
    >> Membership and RoleManager providers. Also, these two providers are
    >> separate so that you can configure each of them to use different provider
    >> respectively. For example, you can configure the membership to use AD
    >> membership provider and Rolemanager to use SQL server provider. Thus,

    you
    >> can make your client user be authenticated against AD database and after
    >> they have login, their role is retrieved from SQL Server database(via the
    >> role manager provider).
    >>
    >> Here is a good article demonstrate using windows authentication(not AD
    >> membership provider since membership is mainly used for forms
    >> authentication) and SQL role manager provider. Howerver, the idea is the
    >> same:
    >>
    >> #Recipe: Implementing Role-Based Security with ASP.NET 2.0 using Windows
    >> Authentication and SQL Server

    http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/pages/Recipe_3A00_-Implementing-Role_2D00_Bas

    ed-Security-with-ASP.NET-2.0-using-Windows-Authentication-and-SQL-Server.asp

    >> And there are some other good reference about ASP.NET 2.0 Membershp &

    Role
    >> provider:
    >>
    >> #How To: Use Membership in ASP.NET 2.0
    >> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms998347.aspx
    >>
    >> #ASP.NET 2.0 Security, Membership and Roles Tutorials

    http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2006/06/19/ASP.NET-2.0-Security_2C00_
    >> -Membership-and-Roles-Tutorials.aspx
    >>
    >> Hope this helps.
    >>
    >> Sincerely,
    >>
    >> Steven Cheng
    >>
    >> Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    >> ications.

    issues

    follow

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Oct 30, 2007
  7. Thanks for your reply Geoff,

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Oct 30, 2007
  8. Hi Geoff,

    Any further questions on this? If so, please don't hesitate to post here.

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Nov 1, 2007
  9. GeoffreyD

    GeoffreyD Guest

    Thanks, but this issue is now resolved :)

    GeoffreyD, Nov 1, 2007