    </dib>
    John Dibling
    Witty banter omitted for your protection
    John Dibling, Aug 11, 2003

  2. On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 17:49:17 GMT, John Dibling <dib@substitute_my_full_last_name_here.com> wrote:

    >Could somebody please direct me to a location in the standard where
    >POD types are defined?

    §9/4: POD struct, POD union and POD class (the latter is a general term
    for POD struct or POD union).

    §3.9/1: POD type.

    >That is, where in the standard is it defined what attributes a POD type
    >has that a non-POD hasn't?

    It's actually opposite; see the first reference above.

    >Also, what does the acronym stand for?

    Plain Old Datatype.
    Alf P. Steinbach, Aug 11, 2003

  3. John Dibling

    John Dibling Guest

    On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 14:05:22 -0400, "Victor Bazarov"
    <> wrote:

    >Can't you search the Standard for "POD"? <sigh>...

    Of course I did. Found many references to datatypes which were
    described as being POD types or non-POD types, but nowhere was the
    term POD defined.

    >3.9/10 "Arithmetic types (3.9.1), enumeration types, pointer types,
    > and pointer to member types (3.9.2), and cvqualified versions of
    > these types (3.9.3) are collectively called scalar types. Scalar
    > types, POD-struct types, POD-union types (clause 9), arrays of such
    > types and cv-qualified versions of these types (3.9.3) are
    > collectively called POD types."

    Saw this, but it didn't explain what common attributes correlated
    these types as POD types. Especially since the desription is more
    thatn somewhat self-referential, I did not find enlightenment here.

    >POD stands for Plain Old Data.

    <click> This explains a great deal. Everything, in fact. All
    questions answered. Thanks.

    John Dibling, Aug 11, 2003
  4. John Dibling

    John Dibling Guest

    On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 18:01:05 GMT, (Alf P. Steinbach)
    wrote:

    >Plain Old Datatype.

    Thanks much.

    John Dibling, Aug 11, 2003