Definitive "Good Font Settings" StyleSheet?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Hostile17, Sep 3, 2003.

  1. Hostile17

    Hostile17 Guest

    What's considered to be the definitive version of a "good font
    settings" style sheet?

    That is, one which allows nearly all modern browsers, and Netscape 4,
    to get readable text.

    The basis of this is at http://www.alistapart.com/stories/sizematters/
    -- the column "Size Matters" by Todd Fahrner.

    The concept, as I understand it, is set Netscape 4 fonts to specific
    point-sizes because it's not reliable when using relative sizes, and
    then use an imported style sheet which Netscape 4 ignores to do the
    more correct sizes like "small" and "extra-small" -- including a
    couple of hacks to take care of bugs.

    It's just that this article is a little old and I'm guessing there's a
    more sophisticated version plus a version which takes into account
    bugs which have appeared since 2001.

    What would you think is a good base style sheet that I could grab
    which uses this concept -- relative sizes for good browsers, fallback
    position for Netscape 4?

    TIA
    Hostile17, Sep 3, 2003

  2. Hostile17 wrote:
    > What's considered to be the definitive version of a "good font
    > settings" style sheet?

    less is more

    have you considered the benefits of not setting a font?

    --
    William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com
    William Tasso, Sep 3, 2003

  3. Hostile17

    Brian Guest

    Is there some reason why you cross-posted to 3 groups? Couldn't
    decide where your query belonged? I'd say the first one you chose:
    ciwas. (f'up set)

    If you're going to cross-post, at least set followups.

    Hostile17 wrote:
    > What's considered to be the definitive version of a "good font
    > settings" style sheet?
    >
    > That is, one which allows nearly all modern browsers, and Netscape
    > 4, to get readable text.

    body {font-size: 100%}

    > The basis of this is at
    > http://www.alistapart.com/stories/sizematters/ -- the column "Size
    > Matters" by Todd Fahrner.
    >
    > The concept, as I understand it, is set Netscape 4 fonts to
    > specific point-sizes because it's not reliable when using relative
    > sizes, and then use an imported style sheet which Netscape 4
    > ignores

    use relative font-sizes for other elements
    h1 {font-size: 150%}
    h2 {font-size: 130%}
    ..important {font-size: 110%}

    hide these from n4. @import rule is one method that works.

    > to do the more correct sizes like "small" and "extra-small" --
    > including a couple of hacks to take care of bugs.

    I would not recommend you use those keywords.

    > relative sizes for good browsers, fallback position for
    > Netscape 4?

    Fallback position is don't set any font size other than for body element.

    --
    Brian
    follow the directions in my address to email me
    Brian, Sep 3, 2003
  4. On 2 Sep 2003 16:52:15 -0700, (Hostile17) wrote:

    >The concept, as I understand it, is set Netscape 4 fonts to specific
    >point-sizes because it's not reliable when using relative sizes, and
    >then use an imported style sheet which Netscape 4 ignores to do the
    >more correct sizes like "small" and "extra-small" -- including a
    >couple of hacks to take care of bugs.

    In my experience relative sizes of 100% and greater work fine in
    Netscape 4, but sizes smaller than 100% display at 100% - which isn't
    such a terrible idea really. I suggest just using the relative sizes
    straightforwardly - the worst that can happen is that Netscape 4 users
    get a page which is a bit more readable than you intended. ;-)

    There are enough people still using Netscape 4 that you should ensure
    that your pages are readable in it, but not enough of them for it to be
    worthwhile worrying about the cosmetics.

    >It's just that this article is a little old and I'm guessing there's a
    >more sophisticated version plus a version which takes into account
    >bugs which have appeared since 2001.

    If you simply write valid HTML/CSS, any browsers since 2001 should be
    able to cope with it - at least as far as this topic is concerned.

    --
    Stephen Poley

    http://www.xs4all.nl/~sbpoley/webmatters/
    Stephen Poley, Sep 3, 2003
  5. Hostile17 wrote:

    > What's considered to be the definitive version of a "good font
    > settings" style sheet?
    >
    > That is, one which allows nearly all modern browsers, and Netscape 4,
    > to get readable text.

    The following CSS should do a good job of setting readable font sizes,
    and it works in all browsers:
    Philipp Lenssen, Sep 3, 2003
  6. Hostile17

    Brian Guest

    Philipp Lenssen wrote:
    > Hostile17 wrote:
    >
    >>What's considered to be the definitive version of a "good font
    >>settings" style sheet?
    >>
    >>That is, one which allows nearly all modern browsers, and Netscape 4,
    >>to get readable text.

    > The following CSS should do a good job of setting readable font sizes,
    > and it works in all browsers:

    :-D

    Brian, Sep 3, 2003
  7. Hostile17

    Brian Guest

    [f'ups set again]

    Stephen Poley wrote:

    > In my experience relative sizes of 100% and greater work fine in
    > Netscape 4, but sizes smaller than 100% display at 100%

    That has not been my experience. N4 seems to regard
    h1 {font-size: 150%}
    as 'make the font size of heading 1 element 150% of the default size
    of h1,' and not 'make it 150% of the default font size [ie, of root
    element].

    Brian, Sep 3, 2003