Deflater and IBM JRE

Parker Thompson

Hello,

I am having a bizarre problem that I'm hoping someone has an answer for.

I have been developing using the Sun JRE, but recently switched to the IBM
JRE for performance reasons. Unfortunately, there is something that
causes the java.util.zip.Deflater class to throw an exception in
Deflater.reset() consistantly using the latter setup.

It probably does not matter, but in this case Deflater is being called by
GZIPOutputStream, and throws the exception each time it is called.

Thanks for any help you can provide,

pt.

Parker Thompson

FYI,

This problem occurs because of an implementation difference between sun
and ibm's GZIPOutputStream classes. IBM (looks like for performance
reasons) calls the deflater's end method as part of
GZIPOutputStream.finish().

In effect, this means you cannot write multiple compressed records to a
single stream without doing some mojo on the side to make it all work.

IBM, if you're listening, this is dumb. It might be acceptable if the
classe's write methods were protected (and finish, which calls them, could
be overridden), but as-is this makes this class inflexible, and in my case
unusable.

pt.

In our last episode Parker Thompson exclaimed:

:Hello,
:
:

Harald Hein

Parker Thompson said:
It probably does not matter, but in this case Deflater is being
called by GZIPOutputStream, and throws the exception each time it
is called.

Please come back when you are willing to show us the exception and the
code causing it.

HH

Xavier Tarrago

Hi,
I am sorry, but I have no answer to your question. But I have been looking
for the IBM JDK and could not find it. Is it free, and if so, where could I
find it?
Thank you in advance,
Xavier Tarrago