    normal for a .NET application ? I realise this is a very ambigous question
    since the environment plays a role, however is resource contention an issue
    which requires focussed attention in .NET applications ?

    Chakra, Apr 21, 2005

  2. Chakra

    Aquila Deus Guest

    Chakra wrote:
    > We notice that a particular module in ASP.NET application takes x

    seconds
    > when just one user is using it, but takes 1.5 x seconds.

    Ehh... In what situation does it take 1.5 x seconds??

    > Is 50 % degradation
    > normal for a .NET application ? I realise this is a very ambigous

    question
    > since the environment plays a role, however is resource contention an

    issue
    > which requires focussed attention in .NET applications ?

    No. At least I haven't encountered any myself. What does the module do?
    Does it use mutex??

    Aquila Deus, Apr 21, 2005

  3. Chakra

    Chakra Guest

    Time degrades to 1.5 times , when others use different parts of the
    application (query/ data entry). The only contentious area (mutex) could be
    the use of log4net instrumentation (using ADO.NET logs).

    Chakra, Apr 22, 2005
  4. Chakra

    Aquila Deus Guest

    Chakra wrote:
    > Time degrades to 1.5 times , when others use different parts of the
    > application (query/ data entry). The only contentious area (mutex)

    could be
    > the use of log4net instrumentation (using ADO.NET logs).

    Uh, have you tried to comment out the logging part and/or other
    DB-related parts (you may need to fill the query result by yourself)
    and test the performance?

    One other possible cause is domain neutral assemblies. Static fields in
    them take a lot of time to access.

    Aquila Deus, Apr 23, 2005