Degradation

Chakra

We notice that a particular module in ASP.NET application takes x seconds
when just one user is using it, but takes 1.5 x seconds. Is 50 % degradation
normal for a .NET application ? I realise this is a very ambigous question
since the environment plays a role, however is resource contention an issue
which requires focussed attention in .NET applications ?

Aquila Deus

Chakra said:
We notice that a particular module in ASP.NET application takes x seconds
when just one user is using it, but takes 1.5 x seconds.

Ehh... In what situation does it take 1.5 x seconds??
Is 50 % degradation
normal for a .NET application ? I realise this is a very ambigous question
since the environment plays a role, however is resource contention an issue
which requires focussed attention in .NET applications ?

No. At least I haven't encountered any myself. What does the module do?
Does it use mutex??

Chakra

Time degrades to 1.5 times , when others use different parts of the
application (query/ data entry). The only contentious area (mutex) could be
the use of log4net instrumentation (using ADO.NET logs).

Aquila Deus

Chakra said:
Time degrades to 1.5 times , when others use different parts of the
application (query/ data entry). The only contentious area (mutex) could be
the use of log4net instrumentation (using ADO.NET logs).

Uh, have you tried to comment out the logging part and/or other
DB-related parts (you may need to fill the query result by yourself)
and test the performance?

One other possible cause is domain neutral assemblies. Static fields in
them take a lot of time to access.