Delay counters in three process state machines

Reaction score
I'm trying to change some existing code to improve timing and the quality of the code in general. One of the ways I'm trying to do this is switching from using a single process for a state machine to dividing it into 3 processes (state advance, output, state change).

I'm having trouble with one part of the code, though. In several states, there are delays generated by using a simple counter, like the following:

Code:
	when READ_2 =>
		if wait_ctr = 2 then
			wait_ctr <= 0;
			sram_clk <= '1';
			ram_action    <= READ_DATA;
			access_state <= READ_3;
		else
			wait_ctr <= wait_ctr + 1;
		end if;

These worked fine when there was only one process, since that process was the only place I used or modified wait_ctr. With three processes, only the state advancement (access_state <= next_state;) process gets a clock, so it has to increment the counter, but only the state change process or output process would know when to reset wait_ctr, and both processes can't drive that signal.

If wait_ctr was always reset at the same max value, I'd be fine, but it's used in several places with different max values. Is the answer that I need different signals for the counters? Is generating delays like this bad practice? Is there a better way? I appreciate any input.

Reaction score
u can use wait_ctr as a free running counter provided all the three process need wait_ctr to be start at same time period.

Ask a Question