Delay Signing Project with WebService Proxy

cisco

I'm still trying to learn all the changes for 2.0 but i have come across a
problem i can't seem to figure out. I have a soltuion that has at least two
projects with a reference to a web service.

I want to delay sign my assemblies so that i can then obfuscate them for the
final release. The problem i'm having is that when i delay sign them it
gives me the error at [1]. If i fully sign them it works fine becuse then the
xmlSerializers passes strong name validation.

maybe i can run sn -Vr on it?

appreciate any help,
Cisco

[1]
Error: Cannot load dynamically generated serialization assembly. In some
hosting environments assembly load functionality is restricted, consider
using pre-generated serializer. Please see inner exception for more
information.
- Could not load file or assembly
'HistoricalRepository.XmlSerializers, Version=0.6.0.0, Culture=neutral,
PublicKeyToken=9046dbda5d4028d4' or one of its dependencies. Strong name
validation failed. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8013141A)
- Strong name validation failed. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8013141A)

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Microsoft.Common.targets(1892,9): error MSB6006: "sgen.exe" exited with code 1.
Done building target "GenerateSerializationAssemblies" in project
"HistoricalRepository.csproj" -- FAILED.

cisco

Ok... i hate this but i found the "generate serialization assembly" option
and turned it off. Doh! :)

But i would still like to see if i can still turn this feature on and build
with vs 2005?

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Cisco,

Welcome to .NET newsgroup.
Regarding on the webservice serialization assembly problem, I've performed
some tests on my side and here are some of my understanding and suggestion:

1. When we turn off "generate serialization assembly", the runtime will
dynamically generate the serlization assembly for proxy classes, thus, if
we use delay signing, the runtime/CLR will perform the checking on the
strong-name(key token and signed value...), thus, it'll generate runtime
error if we haven't use SN -Vr to skip the verification for that
assembly.

2. When we turn on "generate serialization assembly", VS 2005 IDE will try
using sgen.exe to generate the serizliation assemblies, then the error (due
to verifiying assembly strong-name ) will be raised at compile/build
time....

So in either case, we can use sn -Vr and specify the certain assembly (all
just use "*" to skip the verification for all delay signed assemblies) to
avoid the problem.

Hope helps. Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: "=?Utf-8?B?Y2lzY28=?=" <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: Delay Signing Project with WebService Proxy
| Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 12:29:06 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservices
|
| Ok... i hate this but i found the "generate serialization assembly"
option
| and turned it off. Doh! :)
|
| But i would still like to see if i can still turn this feature on and
build
| with vs 2005?
|
| "cisco" wrote:
|

| > I'm still trying to learn all the changes for 2.0 but i have come
across a
| > problem i can't seem to figure out. I have a soltuion that has at least
two
| > projects with a reference to a web service.
| >
| > I want to delay sign my assemblies so that i can then obfuscate them
for the
| > final release. The problem i'm having is that when i delay sign them
it
| > gives me the error at [1]. If i fully sign them it works fine becuse
then the
| > xmlSerializers passes strong name validation.
| >
| > maybe i can run sn -Vr on it?
| >
| > appreciate any help,
| > Cisco
| >

| > [1]
| > Error: Cannot load dynamically generated serialization assembly. In
some
| > hosting environments assembly load functionality is restricted,
consider
| > using pre-generated serializer. Please see inner exception for more
| > information.
| > - Could not load file or assembly
| > 'HistoricalRepository.XmlSerializers, Version=0.6.0.0, Culture=neutral,
| > PublicKeyToken=9046dbda5d4028d4' or one of its dependencies. Strong
name
| > validation failed. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8013141A)
| > - Strong name validation failed. (Exception from HRESULT:
0x8013141A)

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Microsoft.Common.targets(1892,
9): error MSB6006: "sgen.exe" exited with code 1.
| > Done building target "GenerateSerializationAssemblies" in project
| > "HistoricalRepository.csproj" -- FAILED.

cisco

Hi Steven,

That was my thinking too but for 2, generating serialization assembly, i
did not find a way to turn off strong name verification before it built the
serialization assembly. But i actually did not know about the * option for
sn. So if i wanted 2 then i would turn off verification for all delay signed
assemblies and then build? Not too bad for my dev box so i think that's the
route i'll go.

Steven Cheng said:
> [...]

some
| > hosting environments assembly load functionality is restricted,
consider
| > using pre-generated serializer. Please see inner exception for more
| > information.
| > - Could not load file or assembly
| > 'HistoricalRepository.XmlSerializers, Version=0.6.0.0, Culture=neutral,
| > PublicKeyToken=9046dbda5d4028d4' or one of its dependencies. Strong
name
| > validation failed. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8013141A)
| > - Strong name validation failed. (Exception from HRESULT:
0x8013141A)

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Microsoft.Common.targets(1892,
9): error MSB6006: "sgen.exe" exited with code 1.
| > Done building target "GenerateSerializationAssemblies" in project
| > "HistoricalRepository.csproj" -- FAILED.

Yes, since I just test with a quick approach , so I choose "*" to include
all delay signed assembly :)

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: "=?Utf-8?B?Y2lzY28=?=" <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: Delay Signing Project with WebService Proxy
| Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 17:54:01 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservices
|

| Hi Steven,
|
| That was my thinking too but for 2, generating serialization assembly,
| did not find a way to turn off strong name verification before it built
the
| serialization assembly. But i actually did not know about the * option
for
| sn. So if i wanted 2 then i would turn off verification for all delay
signed
| assemblies and then build? Not too bad for my dev box so i think that's
the
| route i'll go.
|
| "Steven Cheng[MSFT]" wrote:
|
| > Hi Cisco,
| >
| > Welcome to .NET newsgroup.
| > Regarding on the webservice serialization assembly problem, I've
performed
| > some tests on my side and here are some of my understanding and
suggestion:

| > 1. When we turn off "generate serialization assembly", the runtime will
| > dynamically generate the serlization assembly for proxy classes, thus,
if
| > we use delay signing, the runtime/CLR will perform the checking on the
| > strong-name(key token and signed value...), thus, it'll generate
runtime
| > error if we haven't use SN -Vr to skip the verification for that
| > assembly.
| >
| > 2. When we turn on "generate serialization assembly", VS 2005 IDE will
try
| > using sgen.exe to generate the serizliation assemblies, then the error
(due
| > to verifiying assembly strong-name ) will be raised at compile/build
| > time....
| >
| > So in either case, we can use sn -Vr and specify the certain assembly
(all
| > just use "*" to skip the verification for all delay signed assemblies)
| > avoid the problem.
| >
| > Hope helps. Thanks,
| >
| > Steven Cheng
| > Microsoft Online Support

| > rights.)
| >

| > --------------------
| > | From: "=?Utf-8?B?Y2lzY28=?=" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: RE: Delay Signing Project with WebService Proxy
| > | Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 12:29:06 -0800
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservices
| > |
| > | Ok... i hate this but i found the "generate serialization assembly"
| > option
| > | and turned it off. Doh! :)
| > |
| > | But i would still like to see if i can still turn this feature on and
| > build
| > | with vs 2005?
| > |
| > |