delayed page requests

I've got an asp.net website using role-based, forms authentication against
active directory. The website has been using the LogonUser api on every
Authenticate_Request to impersonate the user as AD creds they entered into
the login form. Been working fine, but yesterday I must have angered the
asp gods, because postbacks (or any document protected by asp.net)
spontaneously incurred an inexplicable 2-3 second "pause" or delay before
the page would be served up.

I eventually tracked down the problem to the LogonUser call in global.asax's
Authenticate_Request; it's simply taking 2-3 seconds to return from the api
call. Unfortunately... I have no idea what to do about that, or if there's
even anything I *can* do about it. Is there anyway way to increase the
performance of LogonUser either at the IIS box or at the AD box (or both) so
that my page requests won't suffer? Give it a higher priority, etc?