Delaying on server side

Roland Hall

: Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Roland Hall" <nobody@nowhere>
: writing in :
: > "Adrienne" wrote in message
: > : >: Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Iain Norman <[email protected]>
: >: writing in : >:
: >: > Search engines won't thank you for a meta refresh keep in mind
: >: > though.
: >: >
: >:
: >: They don't like a response.redirect either
: >
: > Is there anything they do like? Better yet, is there anything they do
: > like today they will like tomorrow? When did it become fashionable to
: > control the layout/design of the sites of others?
: >
: > Why is it, "don't do that....because...._______________.... doesn't
: > like it" rather than, "___________ doesn't know how to work with your
: > site when you do that. Let's look at a way to make it work so you can
: > do it like that."
: >
:
: They don't like presentational markup either, no I should say they prefer
: well formed Strict documents.
:
: Move the presenational stuff to external stylesheets, and javascript
: enhancements to external scripts, use tables for tabular data, and they
: seem to gobble it up.
:
: I don't do anything else (doorways pages, hidden text, etc) and I have
: always had good SERPs. I had one client that was #1 in Google for a year
: and a half, until they decided to put back the presenational stuff, and
now
: they're off the map entirely.

Search engines like tables and browsers hate them, or so 'they' say.
I quit using tables a long time ago and just use CSS with DIV SPAN.
I have no idea what puts you at the top of the list of a search engine.
Never did much research on it and it appears to change often.
Any sources?

--
Roland Hall
or fitness for a particular purpose. */

Adrienne

: >:
[...]

I cannot possibly see how a search engine bot could like tables. Bots are
blind and therefore have the same issues with tables that persons using
screen readers have with incorrectly linearized tables.

All markup in the table has to be processed before the page loads, same
thing for SE bots, they have to wait longer for a table than plain markup.
I quit using tables a long time ago and just use CSS with DIV SPAN.

That's really good. I think there are more and more of us who are doing
that. You have a lot more flexibility with CSS than with table designs.
Some of the stuff that Eric Myer is doing, and CSS Zen Garden IMHO just
isn't possible with tables.
I have no idea what puts you at the top of the list of a search engine.

XHTML Strict Doc Type and Well formed semantic markup. I also serve as
application xhtml/+xml if the user agent will accept it.
Never did much research on it and it appears to change often.
Any sources?

You should check alt.internet.search-engines . The growing opinion is that
well formed semantic markup is what gets you good SERPs, as well as good
inbound links.