    point I think I just need to delete netbeans but it won't let me,

    thanks if you know what to do.

    Sarah

    Sarah, Jul 13, 2007

  2. Sarah wrote:
    > Hi, I can not uninstall netbeans. It says it wants me to find a java
    > virtual machine. Don't know what this is though.

    If you are/were using netbeans but don't know what a JVM is then you are
    doing the right thing by uninstalling netbeans.

    The runtime environment provides the java virtual machine. The JVM is
    denoted by the javaw.exe or java.exe process that you see running in
    your task manager on Windows which is actually running your program.

    > Also, I have the java runtime environment, v 1.4.2_04, but I also have
    > J2SE runtime environment updates 7 and 9. I would like to get rid of
    > verything,

    So go into add/remove programs and remove the ones you don't want. If
    that doesn't work then delete their installation folders.

    > but keep a java runtime environment for web use.

    Which one is the one you downloaded to use for your browser? XP doesn't
    include a JRE the last time I checked (been a while though) so you would
    had to have downloaded your own. Which one did you get?

    Brandon McCombs, Jul 14, 2007

  3. Sarah

    Lew Guest

    Sarah wrote:
    >> At this point I think I just need to delete netbeans but it won't let me,

    Isn't the NetBeans [un]installer a Java program also?

    Try installing the latest JDK from Sun:
    <http://java.sun.com>

    As Brandon suggested, you can uninstall Java versions from Windows using the
    Control Panel "Add/Remove Programs" program.

    The JRE (Java Runtime Environment) is the "client" Java - used to run Java
    programs already written. The JDK (Java Development Kit) includes the JRE
    plus the Java compiler and other tools needed to write Java code. NetBeans
    needs a JDK installed. IIRC, the browser plugin comes with the JRE only;
    maybe Sun changed that since I last looked.

    You'll need a JDK to run your Java development programs such as NetBeans, and
    at least a JRE to run regular Java programs like NetBeans's installer. I
    wouldn't use Java 1.4xxx; it's almost dead and will be retired the minute Java
    7 comes out. Use Java 6, the current version.

    --
    Lew

    Lew, Jul 14, 2007
  4. Sarah

    David Segall Guest

    Sarah <> wrote:

    >Hi, I can not uninstall netbeans. It says it wants me to find a java
    >virtual machine. Don't know what this is though.
    >
    >Also, I have the java runtime environment, v 1.4.2_04, but I also have
    >J2SE runtime environment updates 7 and 9. I would like to get rid of
    >verything, but keep a java runtime environment for web use. At this
    >point I think I just need to delete netbeans but it won't let me,

    I fear that Netbeans was using the java runtime included with the
    development kit that you deleted so now neither Netbeans nor its
    uninstaller can run. Check by trying to run Netbeans. If Netbeans
    gives a similar message you will need to give NetBeans a Java runtime
    and the easiest way to do this is probably to reinstall NetBeans. Then
    you can remove it followed by the Java Development Kit and all your
    Java runtimes. Finally, install the latest Java runtime from the Sun
    site.

    David Segall, Jul 14, 2007