deleting an item with ajax

John Griffiths

hi again, I managed to work out how to create a new item via ajax and
the form_remote_tag, however don't know how to delete an item from the
table.

here's the code so far, doesn't work, keeps on popping up saying null.id
found (e.g. it doesn't know which item to destroy).

show.rhtml

<ul id='item_list'>
<%= render :partial=>'item_list' %>
</ul>

_item_list.rhtml

<% for item in @list.items %>
<li id="item_<%= item.id %>"><%= item.body %>
<%= link_to_remote "delete", :update => "item_list",
:url => { :action => "destroy", :id => item.id }
<%= link_to_remote 'delete', { :action => 'destroy_item', :id =>
item.id }, :confirm => 'Are you sure?', :method => :post %>
</li>
<% end %>

item.rb (model)

class Item < ActiveRecord::Base
#validates_presence_of :body

belongs_to :list

acts_as_list :scope => :list
end

list.rb (controller)

def destroy_item
Item.find(params[:id]).destroy
render :partial=>'list'
end

any ideas?

think i'm nearly there, just don't know where i'm going wrong?

appreciate it

Shai Rosenfeld

John said:
hi again, I managed to work out how to create a new item via ajax and
the form_remote_tag, however don't know how to delete an item from the
table.

here's the code so far, doesn't work, keeps on popping up saying null.id

<ul id='item_list'>
<%= render :partial=>'item_list' %>
</ul>

_item_list.rhtml

<% for item in @list.items %>
<% end %>

def destroy_item
Item.find(params[:id]).destroy
render :partial=>'list'
end
found (e.g. it doesn't know which item to destroy).
..no, the item was destroyed, but when it tried rendering the partial
again (via ajax Update) there was no item defined, as yo didn't add a
@list variable, therefore there is no item in the loop, when it is
rendered secondly.

add a @list variable to the destroy_item action and u should be ok.
btw, better to post on the ruby on rails forum (forum#3 rather than
forum#4)

John Griffiths

Thanks Shai, I spent a bit last night going through all my rails books
trying to piece together in my mind how the form_remote_tag works,
learnt a lot.

Understand what your saying and see where I'm going wrong, will try
changing it.

And yes, i'll post in the appropriate forum in the future.

Thanks, your a pal.

John.

Shai said:
John said:
[...]

sorted...

def destroy_item
Item.find(params[:id]).destroy

@list = List.find(params[:list])
render :partial => 'item_list', :eek:bject => @list
end

<% for @item in @list.items %>
<li id="item_<%= @item.id %>"><%= @item.body %>
<%= link_to_remote "[Destroy]", :update => "items",
:url => { :action => "destroy_item", :id => @item.id, :list =>
@item.list_id } %>
<% end %>

little did i know in rails you can actually send more than one parameter
on an action.

so here, the first is the :id of the item you want to delete, and the
:list is the list it's connected to, which you'll use to regenerate in
the show action / page.

enjoy!