Deleting lines from a file

Horacius ReX

Hi,

I need to write a program which reads an external text file. Each time
it reads, then it needs to delete some lines, for instance from second
line to 55th line. The file is really big, so what do you think is the
fastest method to delete specific lines in a text file ?

Thanks

Diez B. Roggisch

Horacius said:
Hi,

I need to write a program which reads an external text file. Each time
it reads, then it needs to delete some lines, for instance from second
line to 55th line. The file is really big, so what do you think is the
fastest method to delete specific lines in a text file ?

Not using a file but a database instead. If that's not possible, you can't
do anything but open/read/filter/write - filesystems (at least not the
known ones) don't support random deletion.

Diez

Michael Bentley

I need to write a program which reads an external text file. Each time
it reads, then it needs to delete some lines, for instance from second
line to 55th line. The file is really big, so what do you think is the
fastest method to delete specific lines in a text file ?

AFAIK, there really isn't much you can do to *speed* the reading and
writing of the large text file. But maybe you can avoid doing it too
much. If you must make many changes it might help to just keep a list
of lines to consider "deleted" -- and write the modified file out later.

hth,
Michael

Larry Bates

Horacius said:
Hi,

I need to write a program which reads an external text file. Each time
it reads, then it needs to delete some lines, for instance from second
line to 55th line. The file is really big, so what do you think is the
fastest method to delete specific lines in a text file ?

Thanks
One way would be to "mark" the lines as being deleted by either:

1) replacing them with some known character sequence that you treat as deleted.
This assumes that the lines are long enough.

or

2) by keeping a separate dictionary that holds line numbers and deleteflag.
Pickle and dump this dictionary before program execution ends. Load it at
program execution beginning.

deletedFlags={1:False, 2: True, ...}

def load():
pFiles="deletedLines.toc"
fp=open(pFiles, 'wb')
deletedFlags=pickle.dump(fp)
fp.close()

def dump(deletedFlags):
pFiles="deletedLines.toc"
fp=open(pFiles, 'rb')
pickle.dump(deletedFlags, fp)
fp.close()

Caveats:

1) you must write EXACTLY the same number of bytes (padded with spaces, etc.) on
top of deleted lines. This method doesn't work if any of the lines
are so short they don't support your <DELETED> flag string.

2) You must be very careful to maintain consistency of the deletedFlags
dictionary and the data file (by using try/except/finally around your entire
process).

Personally I would employ method #2 and periodically "pack" the file with a
separate process. That could run unattended (e.g. at night). Or, if I did this
a lot, I would use a database instead.

-Larry

Horacius ReX

and regardless of the speed, what do you think would be the best
method to do this ?

Tim Chase

I need to write a program which reads an external text file. Each time
it reads, then it needs to delete some lines, for instance from second
line to 55th line. The file is really big, so what do you think is the
fastest method to delete specific lines in a text file ?

Generally, with files that are "really big", you either want to
edit them in place (which takes a database-type structure), or
you need to stream through the file a line/window at a time,
dumping the output to a temporary output file. The *nix tool for
this job is sed:

sed '2,55d' infile.txt > outfile.txt

(it doesn't get much more consise than this).

That's about the same as the following in Python

out = file('outfile.txt', 'w')
for i, line in enumerate(file('infile.txt')):
if 1 < i < 54: continue
out.write(line)
out.close()

If you want it "in place", sed will do the output file and
renaming for you with

sed -i '2,55d' file.txt

whereas in the Python variant, you'd have to then use the
os.rename call to move outfile.txt to infile.txt

The Python version is a bit more flexible, as you can add other
logic to change your bounds. Not that sed isn't flexible, but it
starts getting unreadible very quickly as logic grows.

-tkc

Diez B. Roggisch

Horacius said:
and regardless of the speed, what do you think would be the best
method to do this ?

Without more information about the contents of the file and who's reading
them, we can't say more.

if the reader is not under your control & doesn't deal with deletion-marks
or anything such in the file, you can't do anything but really delete the
lines.

If you can control it, it depends on how you process the file - has it fixed
line length, or not, and so forth. Because you need to use seek to position
the file-pointer to the proper location in the file to write a deletion
mark, but to do so you of course need to determine it first - and that will
need to be done in a two-pass apporach most probably.

Diez

Michael Bentley

and regardless of the speed, what do you think would be the best
method to do this ?

The first thing I'd look into is reading the whole file into memory,
making all the deletions, and finally writing it out. But you said
the file is big, so here's a quick stab at it (with multiple read
passes and a single write):

import string
rm = []

#first pass through file -- mark some lines for deletion
for line, text in enumerate(file('words')):
if text[0] in string.uppercase:
rm.append(line)

#second pass -- mark lines with 'e' for deletion
for line, text in enumerate(file('words')):
if line in rm:
print 'skipping %s' % line
continue
if 'e' in text:
rm.append(line)

# now write the modified file
print 'Writing %d of %d lines' % (len(rm), line)
outFile = file('newWords', 'w')
for line, text in enumerate(file('words')):
if line not in rm:
outFile.write(text)

hth,
Michael