Deliver video files - best way of practice?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXI=?=, Sep 26, 2007.

  1. Hello,
    i've different documents like videos, pics, docs etc. on a access-restricted
    SAN-area. My Intranet-Webserver should now deliver e.g. videos from this SAN
    to the clients. This time, i've code to copy the files as a special user with
    rights to access the SAN-area from the SAN to a temp-dir on the webserver and
    then i create a aspx-Page with e.g <object
    data="http://mywebserver/temp/copiedVideo.mpg"...>.
    This solution works, but i believe, it could be better.

    1. Is it possible to stream the data from the original SAN-location to the
    client using my SAN-allowed user without saving it on the webserver?

    1.a When storing the files on the webserver, what is the best way to clear
    the temp files? Session_end? I rename the files with the session-ID as a part
    of the filenames on copy, so i could delete all files named like
    session.sessionid.

    2. Especially video-files with >200 MBs take lot of time to copy and then
    transfer to the client - even in an intranet with 1 GB-LAN. Must I use "web
    2.0"/Ajax to enable the users already to view the video on loading (like
    youtube & co)?

    Thanks for suggestions!
    Peter

    =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXI=?=, Sep 26, 2007