Delivering SQL Datatable as EXCEL Spreadsheet to the browser?

John Kotuby

Hi all,
Can anyone point me to an article about how to transform an ADO.NET
Datatable in ASP.NET 2.0 to appear as Excel in the browser such that the
user can open it up on his/her local machine in Excel if they want?

Thanks...

Mark Fitzpatrick

You may want to look at some of the third-party grid controls out there.
Many of them have an Export to Excel function. I believe the latest grids
from Telerik and Infragistics support this feature.

williamsonhouse

Hi John,

If you're looking for a commercial solution, check out our FarPoint
Spread for Web Forms component. It's a true ASP.NET spreadsheet that
reads/writes native excel files without needing Excel on the server.
Here's a link to our product tour that loads an Excel file on the
server then gives you the option to view it in Excel on your machine
(click the 'View In Excel' button) - http://www.fpoint.com/netproducts/spreadweb/tour/excel.aspx

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

- Donald
FarPoint Technologies, Inc
www.FarPointSpread.com

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

If you take a DataGridView and change the MIME type of the page to Excel, it
will open fine in Excel. That is the easiest way. Beyond that, you should
look at a third party solution or a third party DLL, as using Office DLLs is
not wise (too much overhead).

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA