Dell's new pc ordering site -how?????

Bruce

is there anyone who can tell me how Dell did it?????

just saw Dell's redesigned pc customization aspx pages. very nice.

aside from the new tree view of option choices, clicking one choice in an
option group changes the dollar amounts of other options eg if I click 'no
monitor', then another monitor choice suddenly says "add $150" - all client
side!

is this lots and lots of raw coding, or are they using a control that
generates all this?

any info much appreciated

Marina

Yes, this would be a lot of javascript coding. ASP.NET improvements are all
server side. You are still on your own for any client side code.

Jeff @ Dart

Bruce, if you aren't familiar with JavaScript but still would like to
get the effect of the Dell site, you may want to try our new product.
When you use server-side members, this is translated to the JavaScript
equivalent and communicated to the browser via remote scripting (so the
browser doesn't need to "refresh"...thus disrupting the UI).

This sample demonstrates something like the Dell page. This is done
using server-side controls only (which generate client-side script on
the fly).
http://dotnet.dart.com/PowerWEB_LiveControls_CSharp/LiveShoppingCart.aspx
Download the product at.
http://www.dart.com/powerweb/livecontrols.asp