    Any ideas?

    Thanks!
    Joanthan Neve.

    Jonathan Neve, Aug 27, 2004

  2. Jonathan Neve

    Chris Uppal Guest

    Jonathan Neve wrote:

    > I'm wondering what would be involved in making a Delphi to bytecode
    > compiler... Does anyone have any experience writing compilers, that
    > could give me some advice?

    An ambitious project.

    You might want to look for the book:

    Programming for the Java Virtual Machine
    Joshua Engel

    which talks quite a lot about compiling non-Java to run on the JVM.

    It might be that the book

    Compiling for the .NET Common Language Runtime (CLR)
    John Gough

    would be even better in some ways. It largely focuses on running Component
    Pascal on the CLR, and although the CRL is not the same as the JVM, there are
    many similarities. The same implementation (gpcp) is also able to generate
    Java bytecodes, so the author is JVM-aware and occasionally mentions JVM issues
    in the book. The implementation is on the Web somewhere (you can Google for
    "Component Pascal" and "gpcp" as easily as I) so you may be able to find
    material about the JVM implementation if you look around a bit.

    -- chris

    Chris Uppal, Aug 27, 2004

  3. Jonathan Neve

    Andy Guest

    Hi,
    I wanted to do the same for my own language and wrote a library (still
    working on it)
    in C that allows to read/write Java bytecode
    You can find out more at
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/myfriend/
    You could also check out the whole project
    cvs -z3 -d:pserver::/cvsroot/myfriend co
    myfriend/friend2java

    Andy, Aug 27, 2004
  4. Jonathan Neve

    Kai Thomsen Guest

    A couple of years ago Borland actually developed a prototype of a
    Delphi->Java Bytecode compiler. But as far as I remember they never got
    beyond console applications and considered the effort of translating VCL
    code to Swing as too much. You could google the Borland newsgroups for
    information about this project.

    Kai

    Kai Thomsen, Aug 28, 2004