Del's "except"ional PEP Rejection

Discussion in 'Python' started by Raymond Arthur St. Marie II of III, Jul 27, 2003.

  1. Del's "except"ional PEP Rejection

    Ladieees and Gentilmen and Pyth-O-neers of all ages.
    Step right up.
    Don't be shy.
    Come one come all.
    Be the first on your block
    TO GROK
    *THE* one *THE* only
    Exception you won't find
    any where but here!
    The Exception that's Exceptional!

    It's the "elif from lamdba except" Exception.
    (The only Exception that don't
    need an "except" clause,
    Because it *IS* one.)

    It's the story of Del, an intermitantly deaf,
    intermitantly nauseated importation executive
    with Print Global Inc.

    Del's a company man,
    and the 150 year old, family owned
    company needs someone
    to lead them all into the 21'st Century.

    Having over heard...

    ( It's amazing how some people who seem
    deaf at times can hear things
    from what
    was supposed to be a
    closed door meeting between )

    ....the VP of Statis
    talking down to
    the 85 year old Chief of Data Processing ...

    ( History Note--that's what they
    used to call them you know --
    worked his way up from crank turner
    -- but I digress )
    what was I saying oh yeah

    Del over heard the VP telling the old guy,

    "Hell, my 12 year kid stuck *some* kinda snake,
    wait it was a python,
    yeah he stuck a python in
    an old Apple II
    that was in the attic a week ago
    Sunday and started typeing like
    mad and by Thursday he was
    telling me that he had gone
    GLOBAL and wouldn't
    need his allowance anymore.

    No it's time to upgrade.
    Shut down the ENIAC."

    Cut to the "ever butt kissing" Del, half deaf, sitting
    in Python school.
    Well, sorta sitting 'cuz' Del's got
    bowel problems and he needs another pass from the
    Instructor to go to the lav.

    Sitting on the pot, like a splash,
    a thought hits him.
    ( gosh I hope it was just a thought )

    Ya see, Dan didn't just volenteer for this mission,
    he was holding back from the company.
    He new a litte "c" code. Just enough to be dangerous,
    and it made him sick to his stomach.

    But this Python Language!
    He truely understood and liked what he was learing.

    Python was indented so you could read it like
    a self respecting human being.

    It was impressive to him, the way you could write your
    code in the interpreter, and did't have to declare
    anything or agonize while you waited to see if it worked.

    He liked the way "elif" statements made case switches
    easier to code and understand.

    How "from" this "import" that made code re-usable.

    How "lamda" could define a function in a function
    without having to define a function for a function.

    How exceptions could be used to make programs that
    worked the first time.

    He loved the "while loops" and the list comprehensions
    that had little "for loops" and "if"s in them.

    He like how any one on the planet,
    with enough money to
    maintain a computer and an internet connection,
    could just be so very proud that they had their
    PEP rejected
    by the most intelligent, helpful,
    thoughtful, and kindest people on Earth.

    Sitting right there on the throne of inspiration
    he came up with the only
    exception that uses all the keywords,
    types all in one color in the editor,
    and makes sense to only him,
    so he sent in a PEP to be rejected...

    wait for it

    wait for it

    Bam!
    The elif from lambda except: statment

    elif from lambda except:
    while del is not def:
    [import exec for print global]
    try:
    and continue or
    else:
    return break pass in class
    finally:
    yeild if assert

    *PYTHON*
    *THE*WAY
    *GUIDO*
    *INDENTED*
    *IT*TO*BE*

    By Raymond St. Marie ( -- don't laugh,
    it's been free since I lost my job in January)
    Raymond Arthur St. Marie II of III, Jul 27, 2003