    normal? Is there any way around it (in the same situation as the
    previous paragraph)?

    Thanks for your replies.

    Karolis Juodele, May 1, 2011

  2. Karolis Juodele

    jake kaiden Guest

    hi Karolis,

    this question has come up before, and there are others who can (and
    hopefully will) answer it better than i - but from what i understand:

    in general, yes, if you want to send a ruby script to someone, they
    will need a ruby interpreter in order to use it. this really isn't a
    big deal, as ruby is easily installable in many operating systems
    (including the Big Three...)

    specifically, shoes does not require the user to have ruby installed,
    because it comes bundled with an interpreter (making it a nice choice
    for distribution.) i believe shoes also provides an easy way to create
    executables from your code.

    though i haven't done it myself, i also think it's possible to bundle
    a version of ruby with any script you have written, so that you wouldn't
    require your user to have a separate ruby interpreter installed.

    if you want to create .exe's, this might be an interesting post to
    look through....

    http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/187340

    - j

    jake kaiden, May 1, 2011