depikt (gtk-wrappers): Threads, inlining Pixbufs to python code

Discussion in 'Python' started by DreiJane, Nov 23, 2009.

  1. DreiJane

    DreiJane Guest

    Hello,

    these days i make depikt, my replacement of pygtk. There are several
    reasons to do this:

    - Support for Python3

    - Exact control of encoding issues. I myself (a German) hope to
    abandon with any python unicode objects forever in future - that is,
    why Python3 is an important improvement for me. I'll also make a
    version of apsw leaving alone the utf-8 sqlite works with. And in
    the long run perhaps one of the python-API of the monet database. A
    preprocessor macro DEPIKT_USES_BYTES decides, whether depikt
    communicates with python via bytes or (unicode) strings - the actual
    setting in setup.py is, that DEPIKT_USES_BYTES is defined.

    - Readability and changability of code. pygtk's hundreds of files are
    too much for me - since i will make own widgets with C, not python,
    the work of understanding this would be wasted for me. All the more,
    as pygtk's sources are templates for an own templating
    system, not .c-files - can this really be called "open source" ?

    - "Ambulancy". All other tools i use can be installed by simple
    copying (or compiling via distutils without autoconf) without admin
    rights: eclipse with pydev, mingw, gcc4.4, apsw, cython, gtk are
    "ambulant". Only setting the environment variable PATH in a local
    environment is needed for gtk. Not so pygtk: It searches for python in
    the windows registry or has to be compiled with autoconf. There are
    not neglectable traces of trouble with installing pygtk on the web.

    A drawback: To install depikt you must compile it. But by python's
    distutils, which make compiling absolutely easy. Still you have to
    edit the provided setup.py, i will not automatize the use of the
    output of pkg-config for gtk. But that really doesn't need much C-
    knowledge (a bit knowledge of how C-compilers work is essential
    though).

    depikt comes with new features: depikt.gdk_threads_enter (and leave)
    is supported. Again controlled by a preprocessor macro
    DEPIKT_SUPPORTS_THREADS. #ifdef DEPIKT_SUPPORTS_THREADS
    (what is the default), each gtk.main() has to be prepended by
    depikt.gdk_threads_enter() and - with more than one - must be followed
    by gdk_threads_leave(). Admittedly gtk threads aren't really
    intensively
    tested now (but gdk_threads_enter is only protecting values in the
    thread's
    namespace and is safely ignored, when gtk is initialized without
    support
    for threads). Since you must arrange setup.py anyway to use depikt,
    these
    macros are no obstacle. Nevertheless i will keep the number of such
    preprocessor #defines small (certainly below 10).

    depikt also provides a way of inlining icons (and images at all) in
    python code now. depikt.gdk_Pixbuf.serialize() renders gdk.pixbufs to
    a representation in bytes objects of Python3. These are not really
    well readable or usable, but python's array.array.fromstring() and
    array.array.tostring() are used to provide well readable and well
    code-usable representations of those bytes objects. There is
    PixbufLister.py in tools.tgz now, creating those array-representations
    (arrays of unsigned 8-bit-ints). Again Python3 is essential here.

    depikt also provides the standard dialogs in tools.tgz now - they use
    a serialized (and public domain) "back"-icon of WindowsXP. The script
    Dialogs.py is also a severe test of depikt's usability, since using
    moreover grandchildren of depikt.Window and python threads -
    unfortunately this script crashes sometimes due to the bad support for
    widget destruction in depikt.

    Again: I urgently need depikt for a large python project. Adapting
    depikt for it will make depikt better usable and really stable
    sometimes in 2010. depikt will prevail. There is no way for me without
    depikt.

    Thanks for reading, DreiJane
    DreiJane, Nov 23, 2009