Deploying a SQL Server App

Guest

If I have created my Web Application on my PC using command and connection
objects (dragging them onto the forms from the Server Explorer window) how do
I make it work when I deploy the application (and presumably the dB) to the
Host server? The connection objects all refer to my PC not the server the app
will eventually end up on?

I guess my question is general. Where do I find out how to deploy a SQL
Server/ASP.NET app to a server.....?

Thanks

Guest

Put your connection strings and other settings in the web.config and then
when the app is deployed you only have one place to change it.

Guest

Thanks Scott,
One more question. To deploy the database which database files do I put on
the server and where do I put them?

Scott Allen

Generally you don't want to deploy the database files per se (although SQL
2005 should make this easy). You could copy all the .mdf and .ldf files from
one server to another and use a script or enterprise manager to 'attach'
the database to the server.

The usual appraoch is to generate SQL scripts to recreate the tables and
any data needed then execute those scripts on the destination server. You
can generate scripts through SQL Server's enterprise manger.

Making sense?

Guest

Thanks Scott,
Not sure I understand what you mean by "attach".
Once the scripts are generated, how do i execute them on the server if my
only view of it is through an ftp program?

Juan T. Llibre

Attaching and detaching databases are
standard operations used in SQL Server.

See http://databasejournal.com/features/mssql/article.php/2224361

1.
You should have a SQL Server Control Panel
of some sort provided by your ISP, so you can
work remotely on your SQL Server databases.

With it, you can execute system stored procedures,
like sp_detach_db and sp_attach_db, to detach and
attach databases.

2.
If you have SQL Server installed locally, too,
you can connect to the remote SQL Server
and execute sp_detach_db and sp_attach_db.

Juan T. Llibre
ASP.NET MVP