Deploying a web service configured under IIS 7 to one under IIS 6

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Whiskey Romeo Lima, Jul 16, 2009.

  1. Here is the question followed by the background: (I am not an IIS admin
    expert or developer, my only experience is creating web applications that run
    on IIS 6).

    Can a web service configured to run as web application under IIS 7 also run
    as a web service under IIS 6 simply by copying the asmx pages and dlls? The
    webconfig files will be different but the asmx pages and dll’s are the same.

    I have two customers that use identical web applications and windows
    applications that use a web service for all its CRUD needs from SQL Server
    2000. Both have a server for the web application and a different server
    which hosts the web service and SQL Server. Both servers run IIS 6.

    My previous development machine ran XP, SQL Server 2000, VS Studio 2003 and
    also IIS 6 (so these were 1.1 .NetFramework applications). Deploying changes
    to the windows application is simply building an install file (.msi) with the
    appropriate AppConfig settings. Deploying the web application is simply
    copying pages to a folder that is configured as a .Net web application and
    the appropriate dll files to that folder’s bin folder. Deploying changes to
    the web service is simply copying the .asmx files and the appropriate dll’s
    to its bin folder. Could not be easier.

    Now one customer wants to move to Windows 2008 server which will be running
    IIS7 and SQL Server 2008.

    I also have ported my entire IDE over to a Vista machine and upgraded all
    the applications to 3.5 Framework including the web services. When I
    installed IIS7 on the Vista machine, I included the IIS 6 compatibility
    (although if the answer to my question is yes, then I do not need it). This
    machines also runs SQL Server 2008. All applications work as before.
    Other than the update to the 3.5 Framework, the only differences are IIS 7
    and SQL Server 2008.

    The other customer will remain with IIS 6 but will use the 3.5 versions of
    the applications and stay with SQL Server 2000. If the answer to my question
    is no, then do I need to configure a web site using IIS 6 management console
    on the Vista machine and create a web application there also? If so, how
    since there is no way to add a website using that IIS 6 console. All I see
    is the computer name, a folder called FTP Sites with a virtual folder under
    it called Default FTP Site. There is no task that allows me to add a website
    using that management console. So I am not sure why it is even there.

    WRL
    Whiskey Romeo Lima, Jul 16, 2009

  2. opps, I posted this in the wrong place.

    Whiskey Romeo Lima, Jul 16, 2009