    there must be a proper methodology for this, but I'm just not seeing it.
    Thanks.

    Jerry
    Jerry Camel, Sep 28, 2005

  2. Jerry Camel

    Peter Kelcey Guest

    You can away with just using xCopy deployment if you want. You can just
    copy the ".asmx, .asax, .config" files and the dll files in your bin
    directory to your new server. If you do this, you will need to ensure
    that your website and virtual directory are already setup and
    configured properly. However, I would recommend using a web setup
    project to do the deployment for you.

    Web setup packages all you to do all kinds of usefull things, such as
    defining the configuration parameters for your virtual directory,
    checking for prerequisite software such as IIS and the .NET framework,
    check for older versions of your service and your service will show
    under the add/remove programs folder. I believe is a better way to
    deploy web services into a production environement.

    You do not need to recompile the consumer everytime you relocate the
    service. In the web reference properties, change the URL Behaviour
    property from Static to Dynamic. Now this webservice URL will be stored
    in the app.config file. You can change the reference in the app.config
    file to the live site at any time.

    Peter Kelcey
    Peter Kelcey, Sep 28, 2005

  3. Jerry Camel

    Jerry Camel Guest

    Thanks, Peter... I think that clears some of it up for me.

    Jerry Camel, Sep 28, 2005
  4. HI peter,

    I follow what you mentionned and set my URL to dynamic
    Then build a web setup project on my server

    If I access directly to my .asmx file with explorer it works fine
    Then if I run my web application, I get an HTTP error 404 "File not found"

    I have check that my App seting for the url are correct

    Any idea?

    thnaks
    serge

    serge calderara, Nov 23, 2005