Deploying an ActiveX component in a CAB file, problem

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Chris Dunaway, Oct 23, 2003.

  1. I have created an .OCX in VB6 for use on a web page. I created a .cab file
    and placed this file on the web server and updated the web page with the
    <OBJECT> tag with the correct guid, etc.

    When I hit the web page, it prompts me and asks if I want to download and
    install the component. I click yes and it appears to go through the
    motions of downloading the .cab, etc. But the control never appears on the
    web page. When I check the registry, the ocx (and its dependencies) are
    not registered. In fact, I can't see that the ocx is even on the system
    anywhere. If I manually install and register the ocx, then the web page
    works fine.

    I'm relatively inexperienced with web development. I used the Package and
    Deployment wizard to create the .cab package. The .cab seems to be created
    properly, but I am at a loss as to why the files are not getting installed.

    The user control is quite small, has a couple of 3rd party ocx's, all of
    which seem to be present in the .cab and it's associated .INF file.

    The security settings on the client machine are set to allow downloads and
    scripting of controls. The control is marked as safe for scripting, but is
    not signed.

    I'm sure that there is something elementary that I'm missing, but I need
    some help to determine what it is.

    Thanks in advance

    --
    Chris

    To send me an E-mail, remove the underscores and lunchmeat from my E-Mail
    address.
    Chris Dunaway, Oct 23, 2003

  2. Chris Dunaway

    Ray at Guest