Deploying an ASP.NET application using Copy Project

Johnny

Hi,

I have created an ASP.NET application (let's call it FooBar) with VS.NET on
my local machine, residing in http://localhost/FooBar. Deploying it to
another folder on my machine works well with FrontPage Server Extensions,
but I don't manage to deploy the application to my web provider http root
folder.

When I run Copy Project, I get an error message just saying 'Unable to
create Web project 'myname'. Not found.'.
In the destination project folder field I specified
'http"//www.myprovider.com/myname/' since this is my root URL.

There are no files yet on my web site except a test 'helloworld.aspx' file
that works fine and that I have manually uploaded through FTP.

I am not too sure as to whether FPSE are correctly installed or not, but
browsing usenet groups suggested VS.NET would give me another error message
saying 'This server does not appear to have FrontPage extensions installed',
or something like that if FPSE was not accessible.

Shouldn't Copy Project ask me to authenticate on the remote server?

Now another question, if I decide not to use FPSE and stick to FTP, I will
still want to only deploy the files necessary to run the application and not
the source code. So I can still deploy locally with Copy Project and _then_
copy with FTP all the files over to the Web server. In this case, do I still
need to copy folders beginning with '_vti', or are they specific to FPSE?

Thanks for your help.

Guest

Johnny,

Visual Studio can be great and stupid sometimes. This is one of the stupid
times. Copy the project to another location under localhost such as
http://localhost/foobar_1.0 and specify to only copy the necessary files.
Then you can FTP the files within that directory to your target directory on
the server. You do not need to include the _vti directories, as those are
Front Page specific.

Regards,
Ian Suttle
http://www.IanSuttle.com

Mark Fitzpatrick

Probably the extensions aren't installed which is why you are receiving the
error. Even if they are available from a host, the host may not
automatically install them on your account (or may botch the installation).

Copy Project doesn't ask for authentication, the web server does. If the
IUSR account (if it's an IIS box, or any anonymous account on another) has
the incorrect permissions such as Full read/write/delete, then you won't be
prompted for a username and password since the web server since the
anonymous account already has plenty of access to copy files.

No, you don't need to copy the _vti directories. They simply hold meta
information used by the FrontPage Server Extensions to know what is in the
particular web (such as what files and how big are they etc.)

Hope this helps,
Mark Fitzpatrick
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

Guest

Mark, I hope you are still monitoring this thread. I have a similar problem.
- I've got a web application developed on a local IIS installation
(http://(localweb)/myapp.aspx) using VB.Net.
- My remote server that hosts my web site has frontpage extensions installed.
- When I use "Copy Project" in Visual Studio .NET using frontpage to copy to
a subfolder (http://myweb.com/ThisFolder) I get an error message:
"myweb.com:80 requires authoring permission" and it asks for a password and
user name. The user name it suggests is prefaced by the server domain name of
my local installation (mylocaldomain\userid) so this error message must be
coming from my side as opposed to the web site host.
- Copy project DOES allow me to copy the application to the root directory
of my web site (where I don't want it).
- This procedure USED to work flawlessly.
What am I doing wrong???