Deploying ASP.NET app with IIS and ACL settings

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by mpes, Jan 26, 2005.

  1. mpes

    mpes Guest

    Hi,

    I would like to deploy a ASP.NET web application using the Web Setup Project
    in Visual Studio 2003. The Web application uses Windows Authentication and
    also Windows Authorization to provide certain functionality only to selected
    group of users (setting ACLs on app subdirectories).

    The Web Setup works fine except I do not know how to automatically include:
    a) applying ACL to selected application subdirectories.
    b) applying IIS settings (to allow only Windows Integrated and Digest
    Authentication)

    I can imagine this can be done using Custom Actions of Web Setup project.
    But what to use to perform the setting itself? With ACL I can imagine using
    command line commands (CACLS command) but I am not sure if this is a
    standard or easist way. With ISS settings I do not know at all (maybe some
    scripting).

    Any ideas or references?

    I have tried searching MSDN and a few other web resources but could not find
    any guide/example.

    Martin
    mpes, Jan 26, 2005

  2. mpes

    Jameel Guest

    Hay ur question is not clear to me but any how what i understud is that
    u want to configure ur ACL when u deploy ur site is that true.

    If it is true then this is my suggesion.

    All u need is to look for DirectoryServices Class of .Net and then
    followup with its DirectorySearcher Class and this class will accept a
    parameter which shall be ur Domain Name and this Name should not be
    Hardcoded in the code insted it shall be read from the Webconfig <Xml
    File> since the Domain where u are working will be diffrent from the
    Domain where u will deploy the Site .
    Hope this could help u
    Good Luck
    Jameel, Jan 26, 2005

  3. Hi Martin,

    I think Jameel's suggestion on DirectoryService is reasonable since the
    System.DirectoryServcie namespace covers most ASDI api and ADSI is a good
    way to do the ACL or IIS config management.
    And here are some reference on managing ACL and IIS via scripting:

    #How To Use ADSI to Set Automatic Inheritance of File/Folder Permissions
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;266461

    #IIS Script center
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/scripts/iis/default.mspx

    Hope also helps.