deploying asp.net applications

Kilo Bravo

When you finally move your web application from the developement server to
the production server what files should you actually upload? Are the source
files necessary? Or just the dll. Why did microsoft not build a simple way
into VS.net to deploy this stuff on the web??? I can't even find clear
instructions anywhere, I can't be the only one whoever asked these
questions.

KB

Angrez Singh

Hi,

Steps for deploying the application on production server :
1. Create a directory on the server and corresponding virtual
directory.
2. Put you dll's in the bin folder inside this directory ( the folder
must be named bin ). No other source files are neccessary.
3. Copy the directory structure as it was on the development server.
Don't copy the .aspx.cs files. Only copy .cs file.

Thats one method, other is using xcopy command. Just google on it for
more information.

HTH
Regards,
Angrez

hashimisayed

There is an easy way to this. Go to Project->Copy Project. In the
dialog, choose the deployment method and select "Only files needed to
run this application".

sayed