deploying database and asp.net app on separate/same servers

Michelle Stone

I am about to deploy our application on the Internet.

We will be moving our server (containing IIS and our
asp.net application) to the DataCentre of our country in
a few days for being online.

Which would be a better configuration?

1. Putting both IIS and SQL server on the SAME machine?

2. Putting IIS and SQL Server on two separate machines
and using appropriate connectoin strings in my ASP.NET
applicatoin (instead of localhost) to connect to the SQL
server?

Cost of hosting and investment is not really an issue.

What do you recommend? Will option #2 slow down the
process, or will it be faster due to lesser load on both
machines?

Or are they both the same, thereby making option #2
meaningless?

I expect a maximum of 50 users to be online at any given
time.

Thanking you

- Michelle

Hermit Dave

Max of 50 people doesnt warrant a need for a seperate sql box. Though a lot
would depend your state management... ie whether you start piling up data in
session.. then you need to looking into memory...

but out of the blue... considering it a new spec server... dual proc zeon
(hyper threading ).. with a gig or RAM on a scsi raid.... i would say that
i would look into option 1 first... see the load and response times... and
if needed i would go for option 2.... its not an overkill but you just
might not need the power... (and slight delay (few extra microsec's in
connecting over the network)

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

I would recommend 2 for most cases.

Reasons:
1. The security of the database is not compromised by security of web
server, and visa versa
2. More scalable. Latency due to network a lot less than load of both web
and SQL on same server

With your load, it probably does not matter right now. If that is expected
load for lifetime of app, consider whichever is cheaper, depending on
security needs.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think Outside the Box!

Thomas Storey

I have planned a similar situation, it is only hypothetical, but you should
get the idea.

I have two servers. Both have dual 10/100 nics.

I have two VLANs on my switch. On one VLAN I have my router plugged in which
goes to the internet and I also have one server plugged into this VLAN.

On the second VLAN, both servers are plugged in.

So what you have is one server (the web server) with both NICs being
utilised, one on the public LAN, the other on the private LAN, and the
database server which is plugged into the private LAN only.

This way no one can access the database server unless they manage to gain
access to the web server.

Well, thats one way you could do it if you are concerned about security on
the database server.

:)