Deploying .NET C# App - Works on my XP box but not our 2003 Server...

Zanthor

When installed on my local machine it works perfectly, behaves
normally, etc... but I take the same installer package and put it on my
intranet server... and when I try to run it, I get the following error.

[WebException: The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized.]

System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage
message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean
asyncCall) +1303
methodName, Object[] parameters) +218
emplist.com.bucolor.intranet.EmployeeInfo.ListOU() +32
emplist.emplist.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +56

What I've got is a web service (Which appears to be working OK since I
can get to it's dev interface page without problems and from the server
I can invoke the functions...) being accessed by my application. I'd
imagine I have something set wrong on permissions somewhere on the
server, but as I'm totally new to this, and I've had no luck searching
for a solution, I turn to the community and pray!

Thanks in advance,

John Saunders

[...]

It looks like the 401 is coming back from the web service. You'll have to
figure out why. For instance, is the service only permitting access from
your development machine? Does it need a form of authentication which
doesn't work from your server?

John Saunders

bruce barker

the 401 is a authentication error. most likely you are running into the
one-hop rule. if you have access to the server, try it on the server. it
should work. if you don't have access to the server, try hitting your dev
box from a different computer. if it gets the same error then the problem is
with credential forwarding (not allowed by nt).

a quck fix on the server, is to set:

<identity impersonate="true" userName="dommain\account"
password="mypass">

in the web.config

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)