deploying VWD app that uses ReportViewer control

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Fred G. Sanford, Nov 30, 2006.

  1. Firstly, I am a fairly new .Net developer, so please excuse any
    dumb/ignorant questions or comments. Thanks.

    I created a VWD Express project, which uses the ReportViewer control,
    on my local machine. I had to download the ReportViewer control from
    MS and install it on my machine in order for this to work.

    I have the project working on my local machine, but I am running into
    some problems trying to deploy to another development server. It seems
    the development server requires the ReportViewer Addin installed to be
    able to run my code. Ok, when I try to install the Addin, it tells my
    that it requires VWD Express to be loaded to be able to load the Addin.

    I have VWD Express on a CD, but I don't have physical access to the
    development server (I can get to it with Remote Desktop), and I am
    having trouble copying all the files on the CD to a folder on the
    development server.

    My question is: do I need to load the full version of VWD and the
    Reportviewer Addin to make this work? I found an article on MSDN that
    said you can copy 3 DLLs (Microsoft.ReportViewer...dll) from your local
    machine to the bin directory on the development server and this will
    allow your ReportViewer project to work. Where is the "bin" directory?
    I thought that in a normal Visual Studio 2005 ASP.Net project that
    there was a bin directory that held the compiled DLLs, but I don't see
    that for my VWD project.

    TIA for any help/comments/direction
    fgs
    Fred G. Sanford, Nov 30, 2006