Deploying VWD Express App to IIS using SQL Express w/ Membership i

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybCBNLg==?=, Mar 1, 2006.

  1. Okay, I'm 18 hours into this now and am at a loss. What I've done is create
    an application on my local workstation using VWD Express using the
    membership/roles provider and SQL Server Express configured for local
    authentication. I have an aspnetdb database in my app_data folder configured
    with several users. Everything works fine when I run the application from my
    workstation.

    I've tried several attempts to copy the app to my w23k server running sql
    express and can't get it to run. I've created a virtual directory and
    configured it to run ASP.NET 2.0. Then I've copied the files, including the
    aspnetdb files and I still can not login. I've tried using the aspnet_reqsql
    tool, but all that does is give me another aspnetdb database without any
    information in it.

    I've read about changing connection strings, application names, and changing
    the account the database runs in from the NETWORK SERVICE ACCOUNT. I still
    don't understand a lot of this. I'm primarily a sysadmin that's had to write
    this application due to our vendor not being responsive. It's a simple app
    that uses the membership/roles login features of ASP.NET 2.0 and some data
    controls to allow various users the ability to view information from our
    database.

    I have complete control over the web server and can reinstall everything,
    including the OS if need be. Heck I reinstalled SQL EXPRESS two times today.

    I'm looking for a step by step article, whitepaper, etc. on how to deploy a
    VWD Express application that uses the membership/roles features in ASP.NET
    2.0 and SQL Server Express 2005 with Windows Authentication to a Windows 2003
    Server that has a default installation of SQL Server Express 2005 on it.

    I can change primarily anything on the server, build it from scratch,
    install anything on it. I just need to transfer my application to run on it.

    It runs fine from the workstation.

    Any help or links to such information would be most helpful.

    Thanks in Advance,
    Carl M.
    St. Louis

    PS A reasonable hourly fee is not out of the question. However if it's to
    much I'll pay the MS fee of 295

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybCBNLg==?=, Mar 1, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybCBNLg==?=

    dubious49 Guest

    hi carl. did you ever get this resolved? i'm having the same exact
    problem...been pulling my hair out for 3 days on it. the only advice
    i've gotten is "you need to upgrade to sql server 2005 developer
    edition", but that can't be right. i just can't imagine that this
    system (vs2005, asp.net 2.0, membership, sql 2005 express) would only
    work within a development environment. here's a thread i started at
    the ASP.NET forums.

    http://forums.asp.net/1222171/ShowPost.aspx

    if you, or anyone has some practical advice on this...PLEASE send it my
    way. Thanks!

    --
    dubious49

    dubious49, Mar 11, 2006

  3. Re: Deploying VWD Express App to IIS using SQL Express w/ Membersh

    No, I haven't resolved this. I've taken the login controls out and
    restricted access via the firewall. However now the server is almost a waste
    of money because it only serves this one application.

    I've got a ton of things on my plate, here in a couple of weeks I have to
    get it work for another project so I'll detail my trial and tribulations here.

    BTW, the link didn't work. You can email me directly at c m i l l o s h (a
    t) g m a i l (d o t) c o m

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybCBNLg==?=, Mar 11, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybCBNLg==?=

    Guest

    Re: Deploying VWD Express App to IIS using SQL Express w/ Membersh

    Any resolution for this? I'm also having the same problem, but would
    like to retain the login functionality.

    , Mar 20, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybCBNLg==?=

    sivlookingforu

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Deployment Issues - PLEASE HELP!

    Hi all,

    I got the same problem, I have done my website with Visual Web Developer. I have used membership/roles as well. I have a problem to deploy with my hosters.

    <

    connectionStrings>
    <

    add name="GoalConnectionString1" connectionString="Data Source=.\SQLEXPRESS;AttachDbFilename=|DataDirectory|\Database.mdf;Integrated Security=True;User Instance=True"

    providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />
    </

    connectionStrings>
    This is the connection string that I have used. Do I need to change any thing to access my database file ASPNETDB.MDF

    please help me, Thanks,

    Siv

    sivlookingforu, Aug 7, 2006