    Thanks alot guys!!!

    JMT

    , Jul 4, 2005

    Thanks alot...that got me off on a great start..
    Now I have to make sure my database access to sql server works fine..

    One more question..
    While developping on my test machine, I added images to the web app but
    these images were just on different folders on my machine. When I
    transfered the files to the server machine, I would imagine these
    images not being transfered at all.
    If that is the case, I will have to come back on my test machine and
    make the correct changes to the location of the images. What would be
    the best place for me to place them ?? would it be in the folder in
    /inetpub/wwwroot/webapp ?? since that is the only path that should not
    change from my test to the server machine...

    Thanks for the quick reply!!

    JMT

    , Jul 4, 2005

  3. > Do I need Microsoft Visual Studio .Net installed on the server ??
    No

    Eliyahu Goldin, Jul 4, 2005
  4. The images should go to the place where they will be found by your urls. For
    example, if you have a page that refers to an image as
    ImageDir/ImageName.gif, you should make a directory called ImageDir under
    your webapp one and put the images there.

    Eliyahu

    Eliyahu Goldin, Jul 4, 2005

    So if I understand correctly I should place them in :

    /inetpub/wwwroot/webapp/images

    But when in VS.NET I give the path to the image, is starts with :

    C:/inetpub/wwwroot/webapp/images

    and on my server their at the same place. But once I try it in a
    browser, the application works but the images don'T show up.

    I noticed that on web pages their located under :
    ex: http://www.google.ca/intl/en_ca/images/logo.gif

    what path should I give them in my web app while creating it in VS.NET
    ??
    should I give them the path starting with c://......or just with the IP
    of the server machine???

    Everything works fine on my test machine but doesn't work when trying
    in a browser.

    Thanks for all the help guys!!

    JMT

    , Jul 5, 2005
  6. re:
    > should I give them the path starting with c://
    > or just with the IP of the server machine?

    Using /webapp/images should work.

    Juan T. Llibre
    ASP.NET MVP
    http://asp.net.do/foros/
    Foros de ASP.NET en EspaƱol
    Ven, y hablemos de ASP.NET...
    ======================

    Juan T. Llibre, Jul 5, 2005
  7. > So if I understand correctly I should place them in :

    > /inetpub/wwwroot/webapp/images

    Yes

    > But when in VS.NET I give the path to the image, is starts with :
    >
    > C:/inetpub/wwwroot/webapp/images

    ??? You are not going to deploy your image on every client machine in
    directory C:/inetpub/wwwroot/webapp/images, aren't you?

    > and on my server their at the same place. But once I try it in a
    > browser, the application works but the images don'T show up.

    Naturally enough, since they are not found on client machine in
    C:/inetpub/wwwroot/webapp/images

    > I noticed that on web pages their located under :
    > ex: http://www.google.ca/intl/en_ca/images/logo.gif
    >
    > what path should I give them in my web app while creating it in VS.NET

    the path should be relative do your application directory. In your case use
    "images/logo.gif".

    Eliyahu Goldin, Jul 5, 2005

    thanks alot guys...I understand now why this is the correct way..
    I'll test it out and hope it all works fine!!

    LAter,
    JMT

    , Jul 5, 2005

    Well that works out just fine.

    Now onto a second problem, in the same category.

    My SQL connection string has to change since I'm deploying a a
    different machine. I hadn't thought about that until things weren't
    working anymore and I noticed that this has to be the problem.

    My string now is:

    workstation id=MYMACHINE;packet size=4096;integrated security=SSPI;data
    source=MYMACHINE;persist security info=False;initial catalog=Demo2

    What would be the best way to build an application from the start
    without having to change stuff like that once I deploy it on another
    machine.

    I'm thinking instead of MYMACHINE I could change it to
    localhost...would that be the best way(first of all, would that work)
    to write my web app or is there a better way???

    In my login page, I also have:

    conn = New SqlConnection("server=localhost;Integrated
    Security=SSPI;database=Depots")

    even though my database is the same on the other machine, this does not
    work....any idea as to why???

    Thanks for all the help and quick replys guys!!

    this is the first time i've had to deploy to another machine and I
    understand why writing a good ap the first time saves alot of time!!

    JMT

    , Jul 6, 2005