Deploying web app on server

bigjmt

Hi all,

I'm new to this. This will be my first setup for a web app I created. I
created a web app(form) in vb.net on my test machine. Now I want to
host this solution on a web server machine. I installed the framework
on the server and copied the files that were in /Inetpub/wwwroot/webapp
on my machine to the same location on the server. I then created a
virtual directory in IIS on the server and mapped it to the location of
the files.

Now I thought I could access my web app from the IP of the server on my
network...but I don't know the steps from here...
Do I need Microsoft Visual Studio .Net installed on the server ??
Do I need to do special configuration so that when on another machine
on the network I type the IP of my server I want the web app to appear
and be accesible ???
I really am learning from scratch here..so any/all help will/would be
appreciated!!

Thanks alot guys!!!

JMT

bigjmt

Thanks alot...that got me off on a great start..
Now I have to make sure my database access to sql server works fine..

One more question..
While developping on my test machine, I added images to the web app but
these images were just on different folders on my machine. When I
transfered the files to the server machine, I would imagine these
images not being transfered at all.
If that is the case, I will have to come back on my test machine and
make the correct changes to the location of the images. What would be
the best place for me to place them ?? would it be in the folder in
/inetpub/wwwroot/webapp ?? since that is the only path that should not
change from my test to the server machine...

Thanks for the quick reply!!

JMT

Eliyahu Goldin

Do I need Microsoft Visual Studio .Net installed on the server ??
No
Do I need to do special configuration so that when on another machine
on the network I type the IP of my server I want the web app to appear
and be accesible ???

Eliyahu Goldin

The images should go to the place where they will be found by your urls. For
example, if you have a page that refers to an image as
ImageDir/ImageName.gif, you should make a directory called ImageDir under
your webapp one and put the images there.

Eliyahu

bigjmt

So if I understand correctly I should place them in :

/inetpub/wwwroot/webapp/images

But when in VS.NET I give the path to the image, is starts with :

C:/inetpub/wwwroot/webapp/images

and on my server their at the same place. But once I try it in a
browser, the application works but the images don'T show up.

I noticed that on web pages their located under :
ex: http://www.google.ca/intl/en_ca/images/logo.gif

what path should I give them in my web app while creating it in VS.NET
??
should I give them the path starting with c://......or just with the IP
of the server machine???

Everything works fine on my test machine but doesn't work when trying
in a browser.

Thanks for all the help guys!!

JMT

Eliyahu Goldin

So if I understand correctly I should place them in :
/inetpub/wwwroot/webapp/images Yes

But when in VS.NET I give the path to the image, is starts with :

C:/inetpub/wwwroot/webapp/images
??? You are not going to deploy your image on every client machine in
directory C:/inetpub/wwwroot/webapp/images, aren't you?
and on my server their at the same place. But once I try it in a
browser, the application works but the images don'T show up.
Naturally enough, since they are not found on client machine in
C:/inetpub/wwwroot/webapp/images
I noticed that on web pages their located under :
ex: http://www.google.ca/intl/en_ca/images/logo.gif

what path should I give them in my web app while creating it in VS.NET
the path should be relative do your application directory. In your case use
"images/logo.gif".

bigjmt

thanks alot guys...I understand now why this is the correct way..
I'll test it out and hope it all works fine!!

LAter,
JMT

bigjmt

Well that works out just fine.

Now onto a second problem, in the same category.

My SQL connection string has to change since I'm deploying a a
different machine. I hadn't thought about that until things weren't
working anymore and I noticed that this has to be the problem.

My string now is:

workstation id=MYMACHINE;packet size=4096;integrated security=SSPI;data
source=MYMACHINE;persist security info=False;initial catalog=Demo2

What would be the best way to build an application from the start
without having to change stuff like that once I deploy it on another
machine.

I'm thinking instead of MYMACHINE I could change it to
localhost...would that be the best way(first of all, would that work)
to write my web app or is there a better way???

In my login page, I also have:

conn = New SqlConnection("server=localhost;Integrated
Security=SSPI;database=Depots")

even though my database is the same on the other machine, this does not
work....any idea as to why???

Thanks for all the help and quick replys guys!!

this is the first time i've had to deploy to another machine and I
understand why writing a good ap the first time saves alot of time!!

JMT