deploying web service

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Ed, Apr 7, 2005.

  1. Ed

    Ed Guest

    I have developed a webservice that my application uses .Both the werbservice
    and the application runs on local host . I have created reference to the
    webservice from my project.I can access the web service by giving the url as
    http://Webdev/DALSvc/dalsvc.asmx .webdev is local machine . Now I have to
    deploy the application and the webservice on the production server . I tried
    to deploy the webapplication . I have also deployed the webservice on the
    webserver. When I run the application it throws exception .
    The webservice on the production server is NOT acccessible to the outside
    world by doing something like http://something.com/DALSvc/dalsvc.asmx but
    if I try to run the webservice on the PRODUCTION by using terminal services
    and doing http://localhost/DALSvc/dalsvc.asmx It displays all the methods .
    SO that shows the webservice is working on the Production server.

    How do I change the webreference to point to Production server... Cos if i
    try to set the webreference from the project solution on my machine it gives
    me error message.

    Any help is appreciated

    Thanks in advance.

    Ken
    Ed, Apr 7, 2005

  2. Hi Ken,

    What I do is create a proxy for the web service on my DEV machine, by
    running wsdl.exe.

    Then I add the proxy to my application.

    Then, after I've deployed the web service to my web server, I simply change
    the URL property of the proxy. (Near the top of the proxy code, you'll see
    something like Me.URL = http://localhost/mywebservice.asmx and I change it
    to Me.URL = http://mywebserver/mywebservice.asmx.

    I hope this is what you are looking for.

    ---Selden

    Selden McCabe, Apr 12, 2005