    deploy it on a server in our network. What's the easiest way to do this?

    --
    TFWBWY...A

    Bryan Dickerson, Dec 13, 2005

  2. Bryan Dickerson

    Peter Kelcey Guest

    Add a web deployment project to your solution and use it to deploy the
    web service to your server.

    Peter Kelcey

    Peter Kelcey, Dec 14, 2005

  3. Thanx for your help--that gets me started, but, if you'd indulge me, I have
    some more questions...

    How do I know where to tell it to install? How many levels of dependencies
    will the setup package create (one of the References to the WS has a
    Reference to another Assembly that I created)?

    Once I get the WS installed, how do I know how to reference it from another
    program (this WS will be called from a third party product--all internal to
    the server box)?

    Bryan Dickerson, Dec 14, 2005
  4. Bryan Dickerson

    Peter Kelcey Guest

    Bryan,

    My comments below all assume you are using Visual Studio 2002 or 2003.

    By default, the installation package will install you web service to
    the default website in IIS. The installation routine will give your
    user the option of specifying a virtual directory within this web site.
    Here are the steps for setting the default value of this virtual
    directory.
    1) Right click the web setup project and select "VIEW->FILE SYSTEM"
    2) From the new screen that opens click on the folder labeled "Web
    Application Folder"
    3) In the visual studio properties window, you will see all the
    properties for your installation (i.e. virtual) directory.
    What I like to do for my installations, is setup the physical directory
    and virtual directory prior to installation. I.e. I create my physical
    folder first. D:\web projects\mywebserviceproject\ Then, in IIS, I
    create my new virtual directory and point it to this physical folder.
    Then when someone runs my installation routine they install to my new
    virtual directory and everything goes where I want it to.

    When you create your web setup project, you will need to tell it what
    you want it to install. To do this, right click on the project and
    select the "ADD->PROJECT OUTPUT" option from the pop-up menu. Using the
    project drop down box, select your web services project. The setup
    project. Next, select the content that you need installed from the
    listbox just underneath the drop down list. If you select "primary
    output" and "content files" then you assemblies, asmx files and all
    other primary content files will automatically be included. Any other
    assemblies that your project references will be considered primary
    output for the project and will be included. Any dependencies that your
    project have (such as the .NET runtime will also be included). Within
    the setup project, you will be able to see what assemblies have been
    included by looking in the "detected dependencies" folder
    Selecting "Source Files" will include your actual code files (I don't
    recommend this.) "Debug" will include your .PDB debug files (I don't
    recommend this either). "Localized Resources" will include your resx
    resource files.

    As for accessing your web service, you just need the URL of the virtual
    directory. Example, if you installed it to a machine called
    "Server1" and into a virtual directory called "Service1" you
    can access you service at
    http://Server1/Service1/webservicepagename.asmx This is the URL you
    would need to give to your third party. To access the WSDL description
    of you web service you use the same URL, but add the ?WSDL to the end.
    http://Server1/Service1/webservicepagename.asmx?wsdl

    I'd recommend checking out the MSDN documents on deployment projects
    at
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d.../vsintro7/html/vbconDeploymentOverNetwork.asp
    The pages don't have a ton of information on them, but they are an
    okay starting place for information. You can do a lot more stuff with
    setup packages than I've mentioned here (and there are other
    deployment options), so I'd and reading as much documentation as you
    can and experimenting to find out what works for you.

    Hope that helps

    Peter

    Peter Kelcey, Dec 19, 2005