Deploying Web Services

Peter Bradley

I've written a Web service. It runs fine from Visual Studio 2005 on my
local machine. Seems to be running in some kind of internal Web server or
something, because I have a funny icon in the system tray and can't run the
service by typing a url in my browser. But VS doesn't seem to have a
problem.

So now I want to deploy it to the server. I copied the entire project file
system to the server (because I couldn't work out what else to do), then
tried to create a Web reference to the service from another project. I get
the following error:

The document at the url
http://biztalk01/ItregWebService/ItregWebService.asmx was not recognized as
a known document type.
The error message from each known type may help you fix the problem:
- Report from 'DISCO Document' is 'Name cannot begin with the '%' character,
hexadecimal value 0x25. Line 1, position 2.'.
- Report from 'WSDL Document' is 'There is an error in XML document (1,
2).'.
- Name cannot begin with the '%' character, hexadecimal value 0x25. Line
1, position 2.
- Report from 'XML Schema' is 'Name cannot begin with the '%' character,
hexadecimal value 0x25. Line 1, position 2.'.

The display in the little browser window that should be showing me the
interface methods says:

The XML page cannot be displayed
Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the error and
then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

A name was started with an invalid character. Error processing resource
'http://biztalk01/ItregWebService/ItregWebService.a...

<%@ WebService Language="C#" CodeBehind="~/App_Code/Service.cs"
Class="ItregWebService" %>
-^Can anyone explain to me what I'm supposed to do to deploy a Web service?
It was easy in VS2003 and .NET 1.1. What's going on?I tried the help and
Google, but couldn't find anything I could understand.ThanksPeter

Peter Bradley

Apologies to the group. I've sorted it.

It wanted the ASP.NET version setting explicitly in the IIS properties for
the Web site.

Peter