Deploying WebPad as a webapp in tomcat

Discussion in 'Java' started by Keith Beef, May 10, 2007.

  1. Keith Beef

    Keith Beef Guest

    Hello, all.

    I have a bit of a problem with something I'm trying to do with Java,
    Windows XP and Tomcat...

    I'm using Tomcat to deploy Lucene as a search engine, and I also want to
    deply a Sun application called WebPad (a sort of minimal text editor).

    I've got Lucene working, Tomcat is working, but I can't get WebPad to work
    with Tomcat. As a stand-alone Java application ti works fine, though.

    I've been following the instructions that came with the download, viz:

    set TOMCAT_HOME, JAVA_HOME, PATH and ANT_HOME to the correct values.

    Go to the directory in the webpad directory that contains the build.xml
    file and update the properties describing the path to the following files:
    jnlp-servlet.jar
    servlet.jar
    jnlp.jar
    xlan.jar
    jh.jar

    jar -cvf ../webpad.war .

    This gives me the webpad.war file to be deployed.

    Rename the webpad directory to webpad__build-dir (see below).

    Now, when I start Tomcat, I expect the webpad.war file to be "expanded"
    just as the lucene.war file was...

    Indeed, this happens, creating a directory named webpad (which is why I
    renamed the other directory after using Ant to build the .war file).

    BUT...

    In the DOS command prompt window, I see a lot of messages, complaining
    about errors.

    I see after lots of lines that begin:

    at org.apache.catalina.startup.........

    and

    at org.apache.catalina.core........

    these lines (verbatim):

    Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Invalid <url-pattern> publish in servlet mapping
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.addServletMapping(StandardContext.java:2385)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.addServletMapping(StandardContext.java:2361)
    .... 46 more

    Now I know that Tomcat is picky, and wants UNIX-style directory separators
    even though this is being deployed on a Windows OS (i.e. / and not \).

    So that was my first thought: that I'd somehow badly specified a path
    somewhere. But I can't find it....

    Has anybody run into similar problems, or is anybody able to shed some
    light on the meaning of this error?

    Beef.

    sorry to cross-post, but I've set an FU2 header...

    Keith Beef, May 10, 2007