Deploying webservice

John

Hi

I have created my first web service on my local server. I now need to deploy
the ws to www.mydomian.com/MyApp/webservice/ site. What are the steps to do
that? Is there a way to use only compiled version so the source code is not
exposed? Also, how would my client apps be able to add reference to the ws
when it is no longer on my local server but on a remote server?

Thanks

Regards

DalePres

To publish your web service, the easiest way is to use, from the Visual
Studio menu, Project->Copy Project. From there, for local intranet if you
have the appropriate shares created, you can use the file share method, for
internet or, depending on your network, use the FrontPage method.

Of course, there are more advanced methods, such as creating deployment
projects in Visual Studio, but for one-off deployments, they're generally
not necessary.

To configure the client, follow these steps:

In the solution explorer for the client project, click the web reference for
your web service. Then in the properties, set the URL Behavior property to
Dynamic. This will do two things. First, it will create an entry in the
client application's web.config file that will point to the reference on
your local machine and, second, it will configure the client application to
look in the web.config file to find out where to locate the web service.

Now you can modify the Web Reference URL Property in the properties window
or directly in the web.config file. I keep entries in my web.config files
for all web services and all locations and just comment out all but the
current ones. That enables me to rapidly switch from running local, to
development servers, to test servers, and finally to production servers.

Hope this helps,

Dale