Deployment Question

Jeff S

In consideration of protecting intellectual property, when deploying an
ASP.NET application, do I have to deploy all of the code-behind files?
(e.g., default.aspx.cs), or can I simply deploy the ASPX and ASCX files,
with all the code from all code-behind files compiled into an obfuscated
assembly? I need to know the minimum number of files I need to distribute.
What about .ascx files and their associated code-behind files?

Thanks.

Gerben van Loon

Hi There Jeff,

The code-behind files are compiled into a dll which can be found in the bin
dir of your application. So basicly the .aspx files and the dll in the bin
dir would be enough to run your app.

Though there is an option in VS.NET to do this for you:

Use the option "Copy project" from the VS.NET project menu and then specify
"Only files needed to run this application".

Hope it helps,

Gerben van Loon.

Craig Deelsnyder

Jeff said:
In consideration of protecting intellectual property, when deploying an
ASP.NET application, do I have to deploy all of the code-behind files?
(e.g., default.aspx.cs), or can I simply deploy the ASPX and ASCX files,
with all the code from all code-behind files compiled into an obfuscated
assembly? I need to know the minimum number of files I need to distribute.
What about .ascx files and their associated code-behind files?

Thanks.

There's an obfuscator in VS.NET 2003 I believe, but not really
rock-solid in my mind. If you need more protection, seek out 3rd party
obfuscators.