Deployment to Multiple Tomcat Instances

PJ

I have a large tomcat/j2ee application that exists on 16 instances of
tomcat spread out across 9 server. My problem (as you can probably
guess) is that
deployment of new code to all of these instances takes an extremely
long time.
I had been looking at automated deployment tools (Center Run) but they
don't seem to be what I'm looking for. Any ideas (or tools) that can
help me accomplish the following in an automated fashion (and without
logging on to every box).
1) Stop the tomcat instance
2) backup the existing application
3) Copy new code from central location (war file)
4) deploy code to Webapps directory
5) start server
6) verify that application is up and started successfully

thx.

Bryce

I have a large tomcat/j2ee application that exists on 16 instances of
tomcat spread out across 9 server. My problem (as you can probably
guess) is that
deployment of new code to all of these instances takes an extremely
long time.
I had been looking at automated deployment tools (Center Run) but they
don't seem to be what I'm looking for. Any ideas (or tools) that can
help me accomplish the following in an automated fashion (and without
logging on to every box).
1) Stop the tomcat instance
2) backup the existing application
3) Copy new code from central location (war file)
4) deploy code to Webapps directory
5) start server
6) verify that application is up and started successfully

ever try Ant?
http://ant.apache.org/

Seems to be the (Java) industry standard for what you are looking to
do. I'd recommend looking into getting the Hatcher book "Java
Development with Ant"

http://www.manning.com/books/hatcher