Deployment to shared host?

Steve Brecher

VS.NET help on deployment indicates that, while using a deployment project
requires administrative access to IIS, " we recommend deploying your project
[as opposed to just copying it] in most cases, because it allows you to take
advantage of extensive deployment project management features, such as
registration and IIS configuration."

I guess that users of shared web hosts are using copying rather than a
deployment project. What problems might this run into? I.e., what web
application features require "registration and IIS configuration"?

Steve C. Orr, MCSD

Generally nothing .NET requires registration or IIS configuration.
(Of course your web folder needs to be configured as an IIS application, but
that is standard for any web site.)

You'll only run into problems if you need to use old COM components, or if
you need to access the registry or other sensitive shared areas of the
hosted server.

David Waz...

I think you can also control what files go out when you deploy. for
example, do you want your source code to go out with your project? If not,
deploy instead of copy.

--
I hope this helps,
Steve C. Orr, MCSD

Steve Brecher said:
VS.NET help on deployment indicates that, while using a deployment project
requires administrative access to IIS, " we recommend deploying your project
[as opposed to just copying it] in most cases, because it allows you to take
advantage of extensive deployment project management features, such as
registration and IIS configuration."

I guess that users of shared web hosts are using copying rather than a
deployment project. What problems might this run into? I.e., what web
application features require "registration and IIS configuration"?

Felix Wu [MSFT]

Hi Steve,

Just as Steve C and David said, using deployment project is not required if
the directory on the shared host is already configured and you have no
components to register on the host. "Administrative Access" is required
when using the deployment project is because that with deployment project,
you can create virtual directory and configure the setting when installing
the web application on the host. However, these actions require that you
have administrative access to the IIS.

Regards,

Felix Wu