"Deprecated sets module" with Python 2.6

Discussion in 'Python' started by Virgil Stokes, Jul 28, 2009.

  1. I would appreciate help on correcting a problem when trying to create an
    *.exe file using py2exe via GUI2exe with Python 2.6.2.

    When using GUI2exe to create an *.exe I always get the following warning
    during the compile process:

    C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\py2exe\build_exe.py:16:
    DeprecationWarning: the sets module is deprecated
    import sets

    and this results in the creation of an *.exe file that can not be executed.

    On the other hand, if I use the same procedure (on the same Python code)
    with
    Python 2.5, there are no warnings and the *.exe works fine.

    The procedure used is that given in the example "Less simpler one" at

    http://code.google.com/p/gui2exe/wiki/GUI2ExeExamplesin

    Any suggestions, help, ... would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,
    --V.

    Virgil Stokes, Jul 28, 2009

  2. Virgil Stokes schrieb:
    > I would appreciate help on correcting a problem when trying to create an
    > *.exe file using py2exe via GUI2exe with Python 2.6.2.
    >
    > When using GUI2exe to create an *.exe I always get the following warning
    > during the compile process:
    >
    > C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\py2exe\build_exe.py:16:
    > DeprecationWarning: the sets module is deprecated
    > import sets
    >
    > and this results in the creation of an *.exe file that can not be executed.
    >
    > On the other hand, if I use the same procedure (on the same Python code)
    > with
    > Python 2.5, there are no warnings and the *.exe works fine.
    >
    > The procedure used is that given in the example "Less simpler one" at
    >
    > http://code.google.com/p/gui2exe/wiki/GUI2ExeExamplesin
    >
    > Any suggestions, help, ... would be greatly appreciated.

    If you don't need your app running on python2.3 and earlier, just remove
    the sets-module and replace it with the builtin "set".

    Diez

    Diez B. Roggisch, Jul 28, 2009

  3. On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 22:28:09 +0200, Virgil Stokes wrote:

    > When using GUI2exe to create an *.exe I always get the following warning
    > during the compile process:
    >
    > C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\py2exe\build_exe.py:16:
    > DeprecationWarning: the sets module is deprecated
    > import sets

    The best solution would be to change every call to sets.Set() to set(),
    and change the line:

    import sets

    to this:

    try:
    set
    except NameError:
    from sets import Set as set

    If you use sets.ImmutableSet, you will need to change that to frozenset
    in the same way.

    This assumes you don't need to support older versions of Python, before
    set() became a built-in.

    --
    Steven

    Steven D'Aprano, Jul 28, 2009
  4. Diez B. Roggisch wrote:
    > Virgil Stokes schrieb:
    >> I would appreciate help on correcting a problem when trying to create
    >> an *.exe file using py2exe via GUI2exe with Python 2.6.2.
    >>
    >> When using GUI2exe to create an *.exe I always get the following
    >> warning during the compile process:
    >>
    >> C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\py2exe\build_exe.py:16:
    >> DeprecationWarning: the sets module is deprecated
    >> import sets
    >>
    >> and this results in the creation of an *.exe file that can not be
    >> executed.
    >>
    >> On the other hand, if I use the same procedure (on the same Python
    >> code) with
    >> Python 2.5, there are no warnings and the *.exe works fine.
    >>
    >> The procedure used is that given in the example "Less simpler one" at
    >>
    >> http://code.google.com/p/gui2exe/wiki/GUI2ExeExamplesin
    >>
    >> Any suggestions, help, ... would be greatly appreciated.

    > If you don't need your app running on python2.3 and earlier, just
    > remove the sets-module and replace it with the builtin "set".

    Of course Diez, this is a good suggestion. However, in this case the
    Python code that I am trying to convert into an *.exe file does not
    refer to sets directly; i.e, the use of this module is buried within a
    package that is imported (wxPython) which is not under my control.

    --V

    Virgil Stokes, Jul 29, 2009
  5. Virgil Stokes wrote:
    > Diez B. Roggisch wrote:
    >> Virgil Stokes schrieb:
    >>> I would appreciate help on correcting a problem when trying to
    >>> create an *.exe file using py2exe via GUI2exe with Python 2.6.2.
    >>>
    >>> When using GUI2exe to create an *.exe I always get the following
    >>> warning during the compile process:
    >>>
    >>> C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\py2exe\build_exe.py:16:
    >>> DeprecationWarning: the sets module is deprecated
    >>> import sets
    >>>
    >>> and this results in the creation of an *.exe file that can not be
    >>> executed.
    >>>
    >>> On the other hand, if I use the same procedure (on the same Python
    >>> code) with
    >>> Python 2.5, there are no warnings and the *.exe works fine.
    >>>
    >>> The procedure used is that given in the example "Less simpler one" at
    >>>
    >>> http://code.google.com/p/gui2exe/wiki/GUI2ExeExamplesin
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions, help, ... would be greatly appreciated.

    >> If you don't need your app running on python2.3 and earlier, just
    >> remove the sets-module and replace it with the builtin "set".

    > Of course Diez, this is a good suggestion. However, in this case the
    > Python code that I am trying to convert into an *.exe file does not
    > refer to sets directly; i.e, the use of this module is buried within a
    > package that is imported (wxPython) which is not under my control.
    >
    > --V
    >>
    >> Diez

    Whoops, the reference to the module sets is in py2exe not wxPython.

    --V

    Virgil Stokes, Jul 29, 2009