DeprecationWarning on md5

Zeynel

Hello,

I am a newbie both in Scrapy and Python. When I create a project with
Scrapy I get these errors:

C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\twisted\python\filepath.py:12:
DeprecationWarning: the sha module is deprecated; use the hashlib
module instead import sha
C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\twisted\spread\pb.py:30:
DeprecationWarning: the md5 module is deprecated; use hashlib instead
import md5
C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\twisted\mail\smtp.py:10:
DeprecationWarning: the MimeWriter module is deprecated; use the email
package instead

I found several references to this "bug" but I could not understand
how to fix it. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Chris Rebert

Hello,

I am a newbie both in Scrapy and Python. When I create a project with
Scrapy I get these errors:

C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\twisted\python\filepath.py:12:
DeprecationWarning: the sha module is deprecated; use the hashlib
module instead import sha
C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\twisted\spread\pb.py:30:
DeprecationWarning: the md5 module is deprecated; use hashlib instead
import md5
C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\twisted\mail\smtp.py:10:
DeprecationWarning: the MimeWriter module is deprecated; use the email
package instead

I found several references to this "bug" but I could not understand
how to fix it. Can anyone help?

This is a "bug" in the version of Twisted you're using. What Python is
saying is that Twisted is using some modules from the Python stdlib
that are deprecated and will be removed in some future version of
Python, thus Twisted will /eventually/ need to be changed to use the
newer replacement library.
However, this is only a warning, not an error; the code will run just
fine until you update to the eventual Python version that removed said
deprecated libraries (by which time a new Twisted version will
probably be available with the necessary fixes made).

So, basically you can safely ignore the warnings, unless you want to
custom-patch your Twisted installation, which I wouldn't particularly
recommend.
It's also entirely possible your Twisted is outdated and a new version
fixed to avoid using the deprecated modules is already available.

If you want to suppress the output of the warnings, see the docs for
the `warnings` module:
http://docs.python.org/library/warnings.html

Cheers,
Chris

Zeynel

Thanks. I tried the suppress it but no success. I need to read the
documentation more carefully. But since this is not error, I will
ignore them for now.