Deriving Web Method Signature from WSDL file

Jay Pondy

What would the VB.Net method signature look like in a web service ASMX
file for following WSDL excerpt?

<s:element name="submitFile">
<s:complexType>
<s:sequence>
<s:element minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="1" name="mailboxID"
type="s:string" />
<s:element minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="1" name="fileName"
type="s:string" />
<s:element minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="1" name="fileContents"
type="s:string" />
</s:sequence>
</s:complexType>
</s:element>
<s:element name="submitFileResponse">
<s:complexType>
<s:sequence>
<s:element minOccurs="1" maxOccurs="1" name="submitFileResult"
type="s:boolean" />
<s:element minOccurs="1" maxOccurs="1" name="batchID"
type="s:int" />
<s:element minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="1" name="resultXML"
type="s:string" />
</s:sequence>
</s:complexType>
</s:element>

I can not figure out how to declare the method to get the
submitFileResponse variables as listed.

If I do something like:
Public Sub submitFile(ByVal mailboxID As String, ByVal fileName As
String, ByVal fileContents As String)
that will match the submitFile specification but the
submitFileResponse section will be empty.

If I then add the variables listed in the submitFileResponse as ByRef
parameters to the submitFile method then they show up in the
submitFile declaration as well.

We are trying to create a simulation web service to test against but
all we have from the 3rd party is the WSDL file - their web service is
not up and running yet. Ultimately we need to make this web service
call from VB6 using the SOAP toolkit so we are trying to simulate as
much as possible for testing purposes.

Any help would be most appreciated.

GCR

I'm not the VB guru, but in your code samople you declare a Sub, while you
should declare a Function and specify the return type as submitFileResponse,
something like: Public Function submitFile(ByVal requestData As submitFile)
as submitFileResponse. The two types "submitFile" and "submitFileResponse"
are XML serializable objects and you should always define your web methods
with a single input parameter and a return type that are XML documents - this
way you can handle a lot of problems (like versioning for example) much
easier.