Design Comments and positioning problems

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Marc, Sep 24, 2005.

  1. Marc

    Marc Guest

    I've tried to produce a design which is accessible as possible, looks
    aesthetically pleasing, and also has the required functions, whilst
    using CSS as much as possible, and of course, without tables!

    The end product is this:
    Web Addy: http://preview.horizonlt.com/
    Username: horizon
    Password: leisureTrust

    I'd like your general comments on the design; I know there are a few bad
    links and nothing much functions yet, and I hate the animated icons too
    - they were insisted on by the client, not me.

    There are also a couple of problems I've encountered which I have not
    really been able to fix satisfactorily. These are:

    1. The updates box on the right is currently absolutely positioned - I
    could not find any other way to fit this into the design without it
    ending up below the content, or the content below it, and so on.

    2. The footer is a mess in Firefox, although it looks okay in Internet
    Explorer, I think.

    I look forward to your comments, and hope someone can help me with the
    problems.

    Marc
    Marc, Sep 24, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Marc

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Toby Inkster, Sep 24, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Marc

    clive Guest

    The general design looks fine to me in IE. But you seem to have more of
    a problem with Opera than you do with any of the Gecko based browsers.
    At the moment I don't have time but I will look at the Gecko stuff
    later and let you know. Opera is a different beast and will take a bit
    more work to get going. Have you tried the page in Safari?
    clive, Sep 25, 2005
    #3
  4. Marc

    clive Guest

    The general design looks fine to me in IE. But you seem to have more of
    a problem with Opera than you do with any of the Gecko based browsers.
    At the moment I don't have time but I will look at the Gecko stuff
    later and let you know. Opera is a different beast and will take a bit
    more work to get going. Have you tried the page in Safari?
    clive, Sep 25, 2005
    #4
  5. "clive" <> said:

    > The general design looks fine to me in IE. But you seem to have
    > more of a problem with Opera than you do with any of the Gecko
    > based browsers. At the moment I don't have time but I will look
    > at the Gecko stuff later and let you know. Opera is a different
    > beast and will take a bit more work to get going. Have you tried
    > the page in Safari?
    >
    >


    Who are you talking to, and what are you talking about?

    --
    -=tn=-
    Travis Newbury, Sep 25, 2005
    #5
  6. Marc

    clive Guest

    Marc wrote:
    >
    > 2. The footer is a mess in Firefox, although it looks okay in Internet
    > Explorer, I think.
    >


    If you look at your stylesheet you need to add
    clear: both;
    to #footer.

    This sorts out the floating problem with the base bar in Gecko-based
    browsers (FF, NN, Mozilla).



    > I look forward to your comments, and hope someone can help me with the
    > problems.
    >
    > Marc
    clive, Sep 25, 2005
    #6
  7. Marc

    Marc Guest

    Toby Inkster wrote:
    > http://examples.tobyinkster.co.uk/horizonlt


    Thanks for your comments Toby.

    Yes, I agree with you on the date - it's pointless, but the client
    insists on it, and I'm not spending another 3 meetings trying to
    persuade him to change his mind. It's supposed to make stupid people
    think the website is being updated regularly... pfft.

    Regarding the menu, no it isn't supposed to overlap, the menu items
    should start to the right of the vertical URL - do you have any idea why
    Opera does this and how I can fix it without messing it up in IE and FF
    (which are the browsers I am required to support)?

    Marc
    Marc, Sep 25, 2005
    #7
  8. Marc

    Marc Guest

    clive wrote:
    > The general design looks fine to me in IE. But you seem to have more of
    > a problem with Opera than you do with any of the Gecko based browsers.
    > At the moment I don't have time but I will look at the Gecko stuff
    > later and let you know. Opera is a different beast and will take a bit
    > more work to get going. Have you tried the page in Safari?


    My contract only means I have to ensure it works in IE and FF, but I
    will obviously aim to support other browsers where possible. I don't
    have access to a machine with Safari to check the design in it.

    I would really appreciate your other comments/suggestions if you get time.

    Thanks,

    Marc
    Marc, Sep 25, 2005
    #8
  9. Marc

    Marc Guest

    Travis Newbury wrote:
    > "clive" <> said:
    >>The general design looks fine to me in IE. But you seem to have
    >>more of a problem with Opera than you do with any of the Gecko
    >>based browsers. At the moment I don't have time but I will look
    >>at the Gecko stuff later and let you know. Opera is a different
    >>beast and will take a bit more work to get going. Have you tried
    >>the page in Safari?

    >
    > Who are you talking to, and what are you talking about?


    I assume he was meaning to address me, not you.

    Marc
    Marc, Sep 25, 2005
    #9
  10. Marc <> said:

    >> "clive" <> said:
    >>>The general design looks fine to me in IE. But you seem to have

    >> Who are you talking to, and what are you talking about?

    > I assume he was meaning to address me, not you.


    Then he should learn to quote, eh?

    --
    -=tn=-
    Travis Newbury, Sep 25, 2005
    #10
  11. Marc

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Marc wrote:
    > Toby Inkster wrote:
    >
    >> http://examples.tobyinkster.co.uk/horizonlt

    >
    > Regarding the menu, no it isn't supposed to overlap, the menu items
    > should start to the right of the vertical URL - do you have any idea why
    > Opera does this and how I can fix it without messing it up in IE and FF
    > (which are the browsers I am required to support)?


    Yes I do know.

    You set

    #menu UL {
    margin-left: 55px;
    }

    but you forgot the NUMBER ONE rule when playing with margins or paddings
    for lists.

    The number one rule is: always EXPLICITLY set:

    * margin-left for UL (or OL)
    * padding-left for UL (or OL)
    * margin-left for LI
    * padding-left for LI

    Don't rely on the browser defaults for any of these values, as different
    browsers have wildly different defaults for each of them.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Contact Me ~ http://tobyinkster.co.uk/contact
    Toby Inkster, Sep 25, 2005
    #11
  12. Marc

    Marc Guest

    Toby Inkster wrote:
    > You set
    >
    > #menu UL {
    > margin-left: 55px;
    > }
    >
    > but you forgot the NUMBER ONE rule when playing with margins or paddings
    > for lists.
    >
    > The number one rule is: always EXPLICITLY set:
    >
    > * margin-left for UL (or OL)
    > * padding-left for UL (or OL)
    > * margin-left for LI
    > * padding-left for LI
    >
    > Don't rely on the browser defaults for any of these values, as different
    > browsers have wildly different defaults for each of them.


    Meaning I need to set the margin-left the same for '#menu li'? Will
    that not mean in IE and FF there'll be a margin of 110px?

    Marc
    Marc, Sep 25, 2005
    #12
  13. Marc

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Marc wrote:

    > Meaning I need to set the margin-left the same for '#menu li'?


    You have to set that, yes. And padding-left for '#menu li' and
    padding-left for '#menu ul'.

    Whenever you set one, you must set all four.

    Always EXPLICITLY set:
    * margin-left for UL (or OL)
    * padding-left for UL (or OL)
    * margin-left for LI
    * padding-left for LI

    > Will that not mean in IE and FF there'll be a margin of 110px?


    I never said you had to set it to 55px as well -- just that you have to
    set it to *something*. 0px will do.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Contact Me ~ http://tobyinkster.co.uk/contact
    Toby Inkster, Sep 25, 2005
    #13
  14. Marc

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Toby Inkster quothed:

    > Marc wrote:
    > > Toby Inkster wrote:
    > >
    > >> http://examples.tobyinkster.co.uk/horizonlt

    > >
    > > Regarding the menu, no it isn't supposed to overlap, the menu items
    > > should start to the right of the vertical URL - do you have any idea why
    > > Opera does this and how I can fix it without messing it up in IE and FF
    > > (which are the browsers I am required to support)?

    >
    > Yes I do know.
    >
    > You set
    >
    > #menu UL {
    > margin-left: 55px;
    > }
    >
    > but you forgot the NUMBER ONE rule when playing with margins or paddings
    > for lists.
    >
    > The number one rule is: always EXPLICITLY set:
    >
    > * margin-left for UL (or OL)
    > * padding-left for UL (or OL)
    > * margin-left for LI
    > * padding-left for LI


    Uh, that sounds like 4 rules to me. If one has 4 Number One rules, one
    might become unilaterally fourensic.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Contrary to popular belief, it is believable.
    Neredbojias, Sep 26, 2005
    #14
  15. Marc

    Marc Guest

    Neredbojias wrote:
    > Uh, that sounds like 4 rules to me. If one has 4 Number One rules, one
    > might become unilaterally fourensic.


    Thanks Neredbojias. A thread isn't worth reading until you've posted
    some big works in it... :D

    Marc
    Marc, Sep 26, 2005
    #15
  16. Marc

    Marc Guest

    clive wrote:
    > If you look at your stylesheet you need to add
    > clear: both;
    > to #footer.


    Thanks, that fixed it. :D

    Marc
    Marc, Sep 26, 2005
    #16
  17. Marc

    Marc Guest

    Toby Inkster wrote:
    > Always EXPLICITLY set:
    > * margin-left for UL (or OL)
    > * padding-left for UL (or OL)
    > * margin-left for LI
    > * padding-left for LI
    >
    >>Will that not mean in IE and FF there'll be a margin of 110px?

    >
    > I never said you had to set it to 55px as well -- just that you have to
    > set it to *something*. 0px will do.


    Ah, good point. I have explicitly set these now. :)

    It works in IE and FF still, and specifying all four meant I could take
    out the 'div > #menu' hack I had in place to make IE ignore CSS I had
    specified for FF! Would you might checking in Opera again?

    Thanks.

    Marc
    Marc, Sep 26, 2005
    #17
  18. Marc wrote:
    > Would you might checking in Opera again?


    Quick'n'easy, and free, download. Installs in seconds. <g>
    http://www.opera.com/download/

    --
    -bts
    -When motorcycling, never follow a pig truck
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 26, 2005
    #18
  19. Marc

    Marc Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >>Would you might checking in Opera again?

    >
    > Quick'n'easy, and free, download. Installs in seconds. <g>
    > http://www.opera.com/download/


    Anyone would think you work for Opera. :p

    I don't want to download it, as my contracts never say that I'll ensure
    compatibility with Opera, just IE and FF.

    Marc
    Marc, Sep 26, 2005
    #19
  20. Marc wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >>>Would you might checking in Opera again?

    >>
    >> Quick'n'easy, and free, download. Installs in seconds. <g>
    >> http://www.opera.com/download/

    >
    > Anyone would think you work for Opera. :p


    No...

    > I don't want to download it, as my contracts never say that I'll ensure
    > compatibility with Opera, just IE and FF.


    If you did, you wouldn't need to ask the question. <g> Really, it is a
    nice browser (you may decide to use it for your own surfing), and it
    will not interfere with your operating system. C'mon, go for it!

    Your contracts should say "my sites will work in *all* browsers."

    --
    -bts
    -When motorcycling, never follow a pig truck
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 26, 2005
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,087
  2. Jorge Godoy
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    300
    Jorge Godoy
    Sep 9, 2003
  3. Monk
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    1,428
    Michael Wojcik
    Apr 20, 2005
  4. Philip Townsend

    problems with flyout menus and positioning

    Philip Townsend, Sep 30, 2003, in forum: Javascript
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    109
  5. Replies:
    4
    Views:
    570
    Dr John Stockton
    Jun 3, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page